POTENTIAL AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF HIGHER EDUCATION RESEARCH IN UKRAINE
G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 2(96): 90-111
Section: Science and Education
Abstract: The article deals with the problem of contribution from higher education institutions to the Ukrainian scientific achievements and the roles of universities in the national innovation system. The article is based on the review of scientific publications; analysis of data of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, and analysis of the national and international rankings of universities. Major current trends in the scientific sector of higher education in Ukraine are identified. It is revealed that, although some progress in the reform of the educational component of universities has been achieved, the problem of research activities in universities and effective use of scientific potential of the higher education institutions remains in place. Except for rare cases, Ukrainian universities do not meet the modern requirements to «research universities» and «entrepreneurial universities», despite the fact that 14 institutions have been granted the «Research University» status of by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. Research performed in the universities of Ukraine is mostly outside the university world rankings and is poorly integrated into the global scientific and technological area.
Keywords: higher education institutions, scientific and technological activity of higher education, research university, functions of universities, ratings of universities.
- The Strategy for innovation-driven development of Ukraine for 2010–2020 in the conditions of globalization challenges. Records of Parliamentary hearings in the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. June 7, 2009. V.І. Polokhalo. (ed.) Kyiv: Parliamentary Publisher, 2009 [in Ukrainian].
- Innovative Ukraine: a national report. V.М. Heiets et al. (eds.). Kyiv: National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 2015 [in Ukrainian].
- Doveyko, А.B., Veretskaya, А.I. (2013). The problems of integration of research and education in a modern HEE. In: Russia: tendencies and development prospects. A yearbook. Moscow: Institute of Scientific Information on Social Sciences at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Part 2, pp. 426–430 [in Russian].
- Androshchuk, H.O., Davymuka, S.A., Fedulova, L.I. (2015). National innovation systems: the evolution, performance determinants. Kyiv: Parliamentary publisher [in Ukrainian].
- Kroll, H., Schricke, E., Stahlecker, T. Developing new roles for higher education institutions in structurally-fragmented regional innovation systems. Working Papers Firms and Region. NoR2/2012.
- Smilor, R.W., Dietrich, G.B., Gibson, D.V. (1993). The entrepreneurial university: The role of higher education in the United States in technology commercialization and economic development. International Social Science Journal,45, 1–12.
- Chakrabarti, A., Rice, M. Changing roles of universities in developing entrepreneurial regions: The case of Finland and the US. MIT IPC Working Paper IPC-03-003. URL: https://ipc.mit.edu/sites/default/files/documents/03-003.pdf (last accessed 27.03.2017).
- David, P.A., Metcalfe, S. Universities must contribute to enhancing Europe’s innovative performance. Knowledge Economists’ Policy Brief No 2 October 2007. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/invest-in-research/pdf/download_en/knowledge_economists_policy_ brief2_final.pdf (last accessed 02.09.2016).
- Veugelers, R., Del Rey, E. The contribution of universities to innovation, (regional) growth and employment. European Network on Economics of Education, 2014. URL: http://www.eenee.de/dms/EENEE/Analytical_Reports/EENEE_AR18.pdf (last accessed 26.03.2017).
- Satsyk, V. (2012). Modern models of research universities: origins, strategies of development and prospects of creation in Ukraine. Ideology and politics, 2, 25–39. Retrieved from http://ideopol.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/8_UKR-Satsyk-.pdf (last accessed 16.12.2016).
- Azgaldov, G.G., Kostin, А.V. (2013). An innovative model of a HEE: tendencies and development prospects. A yearbook. Issue 8. Moscow: Institute of Scientific Information on Social Sciences at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Part 2, pp. 377–383 [in Russian].
- Altbakh, F.G. (2014). The season of ranking has come. Change in the university ratings: the international and Russian experience. Moscow: Center of Sociological Studies, pp. 86–93 [in Russian].
- Rating “ТОП-200 Ukraine”. Retrieved from www.euroosvita.net (last accessed 14.02.2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Consolidated rating. Retrieved from http://osvita.ua/vnz/rating/51741 (last accessed 06.12.2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Scopus rating. Retrieved from http://osvita.ua/vnz/rating/51053/ (last accessed 04.10.2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Times Higher Education (THE). World University Rankings 2016–2017. Retrieved from https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking (last accessed 02.11.2016).
- QS World University Rankings. Retrieved from https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016 (last accessed 12.01.2017).
- SCImago rating. Retrieved from http://www.scimagoir.com/rankings.php?country=UKR (last accessed 20.02.2017).
- Hazelkorn, E. Rankings and the reshaping of higher education. The battle for world-class excellence. Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, 2015. Retrieved from http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=391266 (last accessed 15.02.2017).
- Key performance indicators of higher education establishments of Ukraine as of the beginning of 2016/17 academic year. Statistical bulletin. Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine, 2017 [in Ukrainian].
- Research and innovation activities in Ukraine in 2015. Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine, 2016 [in Ukrainian].
- Reform of the higher education: rectors’ views. Retrieved from http://dif.org.ua/ua/polls/2015a/reforma-vishoi-osviti-pogljad-rektoriv_1438091733.htm (last accessed 04.10.2016).
- Petrovska, І.О., Dulska, І.V. (2011). HEE research in Ukraine: performance, comparisons, prospects. Bulletin of the International Science and Technology University. Series: Economics, 3(7), 210–222 [in Ukrainian].
- Approval of the Regulation on research university. Directive of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from February, 17, 2010,Ni 163. Official bulletin of Ukraine, 2010, issue 13, p. 612 [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Higher Education”. Bulletin of Verkhovna Rada (BVR), 2014, issue37–38, p. 2004 [in Ukrainian].
- Schuch, K., et al. Background Report. Peer Review of the Ukrainian Research and Innovation System. Horizon 2020 Policy Support Facility. Centre for Social Innovation (ZSI), Vienna, Austria. May 2016. European Commission.