THE CONTRIBUTION OF THE ACADEMIC SCHOOLS OF PROFESSORS V.T. SLADKOSHTEEV AND O.A. SHATAGIN TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF HORIZONTAL CONTINUOUS CASTING IN UKRAINE IN 1960—2000
National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute”, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 3(113): 103-120
Section: Science and technology history
Abstract: The process of continuous casting of steel in the world is the most common in hot metal processing due to a number of useful properties inherent in it: a higher yield of suitable metal, sufficient quality of the resulting products, the ability to automate the process, reduce capital costs during production, and many others. It is established that the history of various types of continuous casting has not received proper coverage, so the research objective is to determine the contribution of Kharkiv metallurgists, designers and inventors in the formation and development of the horizontal continuous casting process.
It is proved that on the territory of the former USSR, the process of horizontal continuous casting was explored and implemented in the industrial sector at the Ukrainian Research Institute of Metals (Kharkiv).
The analysis revealed that the founding fathers of the new process were well-known scientists in the field of metallurgy and foundry, Vladimir Timofeevich Sladkoshteev and Oleg Alexandrovich Shatagin. It confirmed that O.A. Shatagin was actively involved in the industrial implementation of horizontal continuous casting machines not only for steel casting, but also for casting non-ferrous metals and alloys based on them. The list of enterprises where the horizontal continuous casting process has been put into production is given.
The reasons why horizontal continuous casting machines were continued to be developed at the Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute are investigated.
The staff involved in the continuous casting department, who worked at the Ukrainian Research Institute of Metals since 1965 until the collapse of the former USSR, have been identified.
It is shown that the work performed under the supervision of O.A. Shatagin was linked to the work on remote control and ensuring the stability of the casting process. Brief information is given about the fundamental works in continuous casting performed by leading Ukrainian scientists and teachers (R.Ya. Yakobshe, Yu.V.Moiseev, E.I. Sokol, A.V. Kipensky, O.M. Khoroshilov), their students and collaborators.
Keywords: horizontal continuous casting, steel, non-ferrous metals, crystallizer, automation, foundry, Ukrainian Research Institute of Metals.
- Stalinsky, D.V., Rudyuk, A.S., & Glazkov, A.Ya. (2010). The contribution of the Ukrainian Research Institute of Metals to the development of continuous steel casting technology. Proceedings from: International Scientific Conference “50 years of CCM in Ukraine”. Donetsk. URL: https://uas.su/conferences/2010/50let/07/00007.php (last accessed: 14.01.2021) [in Russian].
- Ivkin, V.I. (Ed.) (1999). State power of the USSR. The highest authorities and management bodies and their heads. 1923—1991. Historical and biographical reference. Moscow [in Russian].
- Author’s certificate of the USSR. Mold for continuous casting of steel. A.M. Kondratyuk, R.Ya. Yakobshe, D.A. Dyudkin, N.F. Nakonechny. No. 440205; stated 07.02.69; published on 25.08.74, Bulletin No. 31 [in Russian].
- Author’s certificate of the USSR. Mold for continuous steel casting plants. V.A. Efimov, B.A.Buklan, V.I.Legenchuk, V.I.Moskovka, R.Ya.Yakobshe, V.S.Krasnogolovtsev. No. 706186; stated 18.07.79; published 30.12.79, Bulletin No. 48 [in Russian].
- Nekrasov, Z.I. (Ed.) (1980). Development of ferrous metallurgy in the Ukrainian SSR. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
- Efimov, V.A. (Ed.) (1988). Development of foundry production in the Ukrainian SSR. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
- Zhurilo, D.Yu. (2020). Scientific and organizational activity of Ukrainian scientists in the field of continuous casting until the 70s of the twentieth century. History of science and biographical studies, 2, 59—82. https://doi.org/10.31073/istnauka202002-06 [in Ukrainian].
- Zhurilo, A.G., Zhurilo, D.Yu., & Moiseev, Yu.V. (2013). Theoretical and practical bases of designing continuous casting machines. Kharkiv: NTU “KhPI” [in Russian].
- Shatagin, O.A., Zhurilo, A.G., & Zhurilo, D.Yu. (2008). Electric melting and stable continuous casting of secondary copper. Electrometallurgy, 6, 20—26. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0036029508080041 [in Russian].
- Zhurilo, A.G., & Zhurilo, D.Yu. (2013) Outstanding metallurgists and foundry workers of Kharkiv region. Short essay. Kharkiv: NTU “KhPІ” [in Russian].
- Shatagin, O.A., Sladkoshteev, V.T., Vartazarov, M.A., Kozachenko, S.M., & Terekhov, V.N. (1974). Horizontal continuous casting of non-ferrous metals and alloys. Moscow: Metallurgy [in Russian].
- Radzikhovsky, V.A. (1979). Machines and technology of continuous casting in secondary nonferrous metallurgy. Moscow: Metallurgy [in Russian].
- Achievements in the field of continuous casting of steel (1987). Proceedings of the International Congress. Moscow: Metallurgy [in Russian].
- Medovar, B.I. (1990). Metallurgy yesterday, today, tomorrow. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
- Author’s certificate of the USSR. Digital device for controlling a continuous casting machine. E.I. Sokol, A.V. Kipensky, O.N. Khoroshilov, L.V. Fetyukhina, O.A. Shatagin, V.I. Shevchenko, V.M. Pryazhinsky, V.K. Ryzhko. No. 1632621; stated 04.04.89; published 07.03.91, Bulletin No. 9 [in Russian].
- Author’s certificate of the USSR. A method for controlling a machine for continuous casting of mandrel-type blanks and a device for its implementation. O.N. Khoroshilov, A.V. Kipensky, O.A. Shatagin, V.N. Zherebtsov, V.I. Shevchenko, E.I. Sokol, V.I. Ryabenky, M.S. Bresler, V.K. Ryzhko. No. 1576229; stated 20.06.88; published 07.07.90, Bulletin No. 25 [in Russian].