INNOVATION IN TOURISM: THE MAIN THEORETICAL AND PRACTICAL ASPECTS
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 2(96): 69-81
Section: Development of Science and Technology Potential
Abstract: Despite the recognized importance of innovation as a key factor that ensures the development of both individual enterprises and the country as a whole, the main aspects of innovation in the tourism industry remain insufficiently studied and need to be clarified. The article contains a review of various scientific approaches to definition of the term «innovation in tourism», to classifying innovations and evaluating the innovation activity of enterprises, to find out their applicability in the tourism industry. The author’s review of the literature sources allows for outlining the features of innovations in tourism, originating from their service character and the focus on improving interactions with consumer, for the best possible satisfaction of consumer needs, and for determining their role in increasing the competitiveness of enterprises in the tourism industry.
Keywords: innovation, tourism, tourism industry, innovation in the tourism, innovation activities in tourism, benchmarking, Community Innovation Survey.
- United Nations World Tourism Organization; UNWTO. The official web-site. Retrieved from http://www2.unwto.org/ (date of access: 20.03.2017).
- Bondarenko, М.P. (2012). Theoretical foundations for the development of tourism industry. Economic magazine–ХХІ, issue 3–4, pp. 19–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Drapushko, R.H. (2014). Tourism industry: international and national experiences. Bulletin of the Institute of Child’s Development. Series: Philosophy, pedagogy, psychology, 35,31–36 [in Ukrainian].
- Melnichenko, О.А., Velichko, L.Yu. (2015). Tourism industry: essence, components, clusters, and the need for regulation. Theory and practice of public administration,4,3–9 [in Ukrainian].
- Havryliuk, А.М. (2011). Regulation of communication support for the tourist industry in Ukraine. Abstract of thesis for PhD in public administration. Kyiv, 23 p. Retrieved from http://academy.gov.ua/NMKD/library_nadu/Avtoreferat/40885366-2ca4-4d42-9c1b-969a70fb8256.pdf (date of access: 20.03.2017).
- Boiko, М.H., Hopkalo, L.М.(2006). Organization of the hotel industry. Kyiv: Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 448 [in Ukrainian].
- Horyshevskyi, P.A., Vasyliev, V.P., Zinko, Yu.V. (2003). The village green tourism: organization of the provision of hospitality services. Ivano-Frankivsk: Misto НВ, 148[in Ukrainian].
- Schumpeter, J.А. (2007). The Theory of Economic Development. Moscow: Direkt-Media, 400 [in Russian].
- Novikov, V.S. (2007). Innovations in tourism. Moscow: Publishing center “Academia”, 208[in Russian].
- Davydova, О.H. (2015). Features of applying the innovation in the development of tourism industry in Ukraine. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University. Series “Economics”, 7(172), 65–69 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.17721/1728-2667.2015/172-7/9
- Iliyina, Ye.N. (2014). Touroperating. Organization of activities. Moscow: Financy i statistika, 240[in Russian].
- Vlasova, N.М., Smirnova, V.V., Semenchenko, N.Yu. (2009). Innovation activities in the tourist business. Culture of peoples of the Black Sea region, 176,113–114 [in Ukrainian].
- Tkachenko T.I., Melnychenko S.V., Boiko M.H., et al. (2010). The strategic development of tourist business. А.А.Mazaraki (ed.). Кyiv: Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 596[in Ukrainian].
- Yakovlev, G.А. (2004). Economics and statistics of tourism. Moscow: RDL Publishers, 376 [in Russian].
- Harbera, О.Ye. (2009). Essential theoretical and practical aspects of the innovation activities in the tourist industry of Ukraine. Investment: practice and experience, 23,29–31 [in Ukrainian].
- Maklashyna, L.R. (2011). The role of innovations in the development of tourism. Creative economy, 12(60), 130–136 [in Russian].
- Hall, C.М., Williams, A. (2008). Tourism and innovation. London: Routledge, 263p.Retrieved from ttps://books.google.com.ua/books?id=-LF8AgAAQBAJ&hl=ru (Last accessed: 7.04.2017). https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203938430
- Brahmbhatt, S. Development of Innovation in Tourism: Role of Creativity. Retrieved from https://www.gnlu.ac.in/bc/bs/GNLU-BW-SB-1215-01_DEVELOPMENT%20OF%20INNOVATION%20IN%20TOURISM%20ROLE%20OF%20CREATIVITY.pdf (Last accessed: 7.04.2017).
- Miles, I. (2011). Service Innovation in the Twenty First Century]. Foresight-Russia, vol. 5, issue 2, pp. 4–15 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.17323/1995-459X.2011.2.4.15
- Den Hertog, P., Van der Aa, W., De Jong, M.W. (2010). Capabilities for Managing Service Innovation: Towards a Conceptual Framework. Journal of Service Management, vol.21, issue4, pp. 490–514. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564231011066123
- Howells, J., Gallouj,F., Djellal,F., Gallouj, C. (eds.) (2010). Services and Innovation and Service Innovation. The Handbook of Innovation and Services. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. Retrieved from https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/the-handbook-of-innovation-and-services?website=uk_warehouse (Last accessed: 12.03.2017). https://doi.org/10.4337/9781849803304.00012
- Gallouj, F., Weinstein, O. (1997). Innovation in services. Research Policy,26(4–5),537–556. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(97)00030-9
- Carlborg, P. Kindström, D., Kowalkowski, C. (2014). The evolution of service innovation research: A critical review and synthesis. The Service Industries Journal, 34(5), 373–398. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2013.780044
- Snyder, H., Witell, L., Gustafsson, A., et. al. (2016). Identifying categories of service innovation: A review and synthesis of the literature. Journal of Business Research. Retrieved from http://paulfombelle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/categories-of-service-innovation-JBR-2016.pdf (Last accessed: 12.03.2017).
- Pokhomchikova, Ye.О. (2015). Hospitality industry: the evolutionary approach. Abstract of thesis for PhD in economics. Irkutsk, 24 p. Retrieved from http://economy-lib.com/industriya-gostepriimstva-evolyutsionnyy-podhod (Last accessed: 12.03.2017) [in Russian].
- Zinoviev, F.V. (2008). Management consulting: an instrument for development of Ukrainian enterprises. The State and regions. Series: Economics and business, 6, 88–91 [in Ukrainian].
- Saak, А.Ye., Pshenichnykh, Yu.А.(2007). Management in socio-cultural services and tourism. Saint-Petersburg: Piter, 512 [in Russian].
- Kindryk, T.O., Holovinov, O.M. Innovation activities in the tourist industry of Ukraine. Proceedings from: a conference “Effective instruments of modern sciences– 2010”. Retrieved from http://tourlib.net/statti_ukr/kindryk.htm/ (Last accessed: 10.03.2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Kalchenko, О.М. (2011). Theoretical aspects of business innovation in the tourist industry. Bulletin of Chernivtsi State Technological University, 4(54), 147–155 [in Ukrainian].
- Hjalager, A.-M. (2010). A review of innovation research in tourism. Tourism Management, vol. 31, issue 1, pp. 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.08.012
- Carlisle, S., Kunc, M., Jones, E., et al. (2013). Supporting innovation for tourism development through multi-stakeholder approaches: Experiences from Africa. Tourism Management, 35, 59–69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2012.05.010
- Booyens, I., Rogerson, C.M. (2016). Unpacking the geography of tourism innovation in Western Cape Province, South Africa. Bulletin of Geography: Socio-Economic Series,31, 19–36. https://doi.org/10.1515/bog-2016-0002
- Becic, E., Crnjar, K., Licul, M. (2014). Measures of innovation activities in tourism according to CIS survey. Tourism and Hospitality Industry, Congress proceedings, 4, 90–105. Retrieved from http://www.fthm.uniri.hr/files/Kongresi/THI/Papers/2014/THI_May2014_90to105.pdf (Last accessed: 15.03.2017).
- Jacob, M., Tintoré, J., Aguilo, E., et al. (2003). Innovation in the tourism sector: Results from a pilot study in the Balearic Islands. Tourism. Economics, vol. 9, issue 3, pp. 279–295. https://doi.org/10.1177/135481660300900303
- http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/en/168-2017-%D1%80 (Last accessed: 25.04.2017) [in Ukrainian].Oslo Manual. Guidelines for Collecting, Reporting and using Data on Innovation. OECD, Eurostat. 3rd edition. Moscow: Center for Studies and Statistics of Science, 2010, 192 p. [in Russian].
- Burmenko, Т.D., Pokhomchikova, Ye.О. (2015). Мethodological recommendations on assessment of the innovation activity of enterprises in hospitality industry. Proceedings of Irkutsk State Economic Academy, 6. Retrieved from http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/metodicheskie-rekomendatsii-po-otsenke-innovatsionnoy-aktivnosti-predpriyatiy-industrii-gostepriimstva (Last accessed: 20.03.2017) [in Russian].
- Reutov, А.Yu. (2011). An analysis of input, output and statistical components of the innovation activities in an organization. Innovation. Investment, 33. Retrieved from www. uecs. ru/component/content/article/650 (Last accessed: 11.03.2017) [in Russian].
- The Community Innovation Survey 2014. Methodological recommendations. Retrieved from http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_SDDS/en/inn_esms.htm#stat_pres (Last accessed: 25.03.2017).
- Zhukovych, І.А. (2015). Methodological aspects of sampling reporting units for performing the survey of innovation activity of enterprises. Scientific bulletin of the National Academy of Statistics, Accounting and Audit,3(46), 7–12 [in Ukrainian].
- The strategy for development of tourism and resorts for the period till 2026, approved by Directive of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from March, 16, 2017 No168-р. Retrieved from