EVOLUTION OF COMMON SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION POLICY IN EUROPE IN 1945–1985
Institute for Economics and Forecasting of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 1(95): 105-119
Section: Foreign Science. International Science and Technology Cooperation
Abstract: The paper deals with the issues of developing and institutionalization of the common science, technology and innovation policy of the European Community. The main attention is paid to analysis of the official documents of the European Commission related to science, technology and innovation policy. The factors that influenced developing of the common policy and its objectives are considered as well as the main initiatives and ways to achieve them. It is concluded that the European experience in particular the use of program-oriented approach and the establishment of coordination mechanisms, should be used more actively in the science, technology and innovation policy of Ukraine.
Keywords: common science, technology and innovation policy, European Community, research and development, European Commission, Joint Research Center.
- Agreement on Association between Ukraine, of the one part, and European Union, European Atomic Energy Community and Their Member States, of the other part. Ratified by the Law of Ukraine No 1678-VII from 16.09.2014. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_011/print1433745792270368 (Last accessed 16.01.2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Sanz-Menendez, L., Borras, S. Explaining changes and continuity in EU technology policy: the politics of ideas. Working paper 00-01, Unidad de Politicas Comparadas, 2000. Retrieved from http://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/1490/1/dt-0001.pdf (Last accessed: 17.10.2016).
- Jamison, A. Science and Technology in Postwar Europe. Oxford Handbook of Postwar European History. Ed. D. Stone. Oxford University Press, 2012. Retrieved from http://people.plan.aau.dk/~andy/newOxfordpiece.doc (Last accessed: 16.06.2016). https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199560981.013.0032
- Guy, K. A Short History of Science (and Innovation) Policy. Proceedings of EARTO Annual Conference, 7–8 May, 2012. European Association of Research and Technology Organizations. Last accessed http://www.earto.eu/fileadmin/content/01_Seminars_Conferences/AC_2012/EARTOAC12_Ken_Guy.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Godin, B. The making of science, technology and innovation policy: conceptual frameworks as narratives, 1945–2005. Institut national de la recherche scientifique, 2009. Last accessed http://www.csiic.ca/PDF/TheMakingOfScience.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Guzzetti, L. A brief history of European Union Research Policy. European Comission, 1995. Last accessed http://www.netaffair.org/documents/1995-a-brief-history-of-european-research.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Fedulova, L., Androshchuk, H. (2014). Specifics of the development of the innovation policy of the European Union: challenges of Ukraine. Problems of science, issue 7–8, 40–43 [in Ukrainian].
- Stoiko, I., Vovk, Yu., Yurchak, O. (2011). Analysis of implementation of innovation policy foreign countries. Socio-Economic Problems and the State, 2(5). Retrieved from http://elartu.tntu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/1534/1/11siipzk.pdf (Last accessed: 16.01.2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Edgerton, D. (2004). The Linear Model did not Exist. The Science-Industry Nexus: History, Policy, Implications. Grandin, K., Worms, N., Widmalm. S. (eds.). Sagamore Beach: Science History Publications, P. 31—57.
- Aubert, J.-E., et al. (2010). Innovation policy: a guide for developing countries. World bank, 436 p.
- The Law of Ukraine “Scientific and science & technology activities” from 26.11.2015 No 848-VIII. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/848-19/print1452597334512711 (Last accessed: 16.01.2017).
- Edgerton, D.E.H., Horrocks, S.M. (1994). British Industrial Research and Development Before 1945. Economic History Review, 67 (2), 213—238. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0289.1994.tb01374.x
- Baily, M.N., Kirkegaard, J.F. Europe’s Post War Success and Subsequent Problems. Transforming the European Economy. PIIE, 2004. Retrieved from https://piie.com/publications/chapters_preview/353/2iie3438.pdf (Last accessed: 21.10.2016).
- Arnold, E., Balasz, К. (1998). Methods in The Evaluation of Publicly Funded Basic Research: A Review for OECD. Technopolis Ltd., 35 p.
- Jamison, A., Eyerman, R., Cramer, J., Lоеssоe, J. (1993). The Making of the New Environmental Consciousness. Edinburgh University Press, 224 p.
- EU Innovation Policy. Part 1. European Commission, 2016. Retrieved from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/IDAN/2016/583778/EPRS_IDA(2016)583778_EN.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Objectives and instruments of a common policy of scientific research and technological development. Communication of the Commission to the Council. COM (72) 700 final, 14 June 1972. Bulletin of the European Communities. Supplement 6/72. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/5568/1/5568.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Scientific and Technological Policy Programme COM (73) 1250, Parts I & II 25 July 1973, Supplement 14/73. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/5592/1/5592.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Objectives, priorities and resources for a common research and development policy. Communication of the Commission to the Council. COM (75) 535 final, 29 October 1975. Bulletin of the European Communities. Supplement 4/76. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/5596/1/5596.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Mowery, D.C., Rosenberg, N. (1978). The Influence of Market Demand upon Innovation: A Critical Review of Some Recent Empirical Studies. Research Policy, 7.
- Common policy in the field of science and technology. Communication from the Commission to the Council. COM (77) 283 final, 30 June 1977. Bulletin of the European Communities. Supplement 3/77. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/4589/1/4589.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Memorandum from the Commission on the technological and industrial policy programme, Supplement 7/73. SEC (73) 1090, 3 May 1973. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/5144/1/5144.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Report on some structural aspects of growth. COM (78) 25 5 final Brussels, 22 June 1978. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/5447/1/5447.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- List of FAST publications. CORDIS portal. Retrieved from http://cordis.europa.eu/news/rcn/3587_en.html (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Industrial Development and Innovation. Communication from the Commission to the European Council, Luxembourg, 1 and 2 December 1980. COM (80) 755 final, 18 November 1980. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/1377/1/industry_development_COM_80_755.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- A policy for industrial innovation — Strategic lines of a community approach, Commission of the European Сommunities, COM (81) 620, 20 October 1981. Retrieved from http://aei.pitt.edu/1376/1/innovation_30_May_COM_81_620.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Council resolution of 25 July 1983 on framework programmes for Community research, development and demonstration activities and a first framework programme 1984 to 1987. Official journal of the EC C208 on 04/08/1983. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:C:1983:208:FULL&from=EN (Last accessed: 16.06.2016)
- Strategic programme (EEC) for innovation and technology transfer (SPRINT). The CORDIS portal. Retrieved from http://cordis.europa.eu/programme/rcn/142_en.html (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- 20th Anniversary Report — Two decades of support for European innovation. Belgium: the EUREKA Secretariat. September 2005. 68 p. Retrieved from http://www.eurekanetwork.org/sites/default/files/publications/impact-eureka-20-year-anniversary-report.pdf (Last accessed: 16.06.2016).
- Naisbitt, J. (2003). Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives. Trans. from English. Moscow: АСТ, 380 [in Russian].
- Porter, M. (1998). On Competition. Boston, MA, Harvard Business School Press, 485.