SCIENTOMETRIC STUDY OF THE LEGISLATION
G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 4(98): 65-83
Abstract: A scientometric study of the Ukrainian legislation over 1991–2016 is made in the context of science and technology policy setting and implementation. Results of the study are obtained by use of slang (classical) method, thematic concentration (linguistic statistical) method, and correlation analysis method. The notion of «science-oriented legislation» is conceptualized, the index of science-oriented legislation for Ukraine is computed for the period of 1991–2016, including by category of legislative act. It is demonstrated that statistical measures of science oriented legislation can be used to find a scientific solution for the problem of consistency between the enforcement of regulations and the change in legislative acts. Economic soundness of the index of science-oriented legislation is confirmed by setting its statistical correlation with the dynamics series of economic indexes of research and development (R&D) intensity: the gross domestic spending on R&D, the budgetary appropriations on R&D, and the share of gross domestic spending on R&D in GDP. The results confirm that scientometric methods can be effectively used in analyses of legislation as part of the scientometric methodology.
Keywords: science and technology activities, public science and technology policy, legislative act, science-oriented legislation, correlation analysis, slang term, index of science-oriented legislation.
- Kovalchuk, О.B. (2015). The legislative support to the election process in Ukraine. Bulletin of National University “Lviv Politechnika”. Law, 827, 69–73 [in Ukrainian].
- Popovych, О.S. (2011). Deregulation of business activities or hampering of economic development: a contradictory evolution of the Ukrainian legislation. Science and Science of Science, 2, 42–49 [in Ukrainian].
- Mekh, О.А. (2014). The R&D intensity of the Ukrainian national security system: an analysis of the regulatory framework. Science and Science of Science, 3, 11–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Boublyk, S.H. (2015). Creating the regulatory framework for the national security of Ukraine in the science and technology context. Problems of science, 1, 2–11 [in Ukrainian].
- Popovych, О.S. (2005). Science and technology and innovation policies: essential mechanisms for formation and implementation. B.A.Malitsky (ed.). Kyiv: Phoenix, 226 [in Ukrainian].
- Nalimov, V.V., Mulchenko, Z.М. (1969). Scientometrics. Studying the development of science as an information process. Moscow: Nauka, 192 [in Russian].
- Khaytun, S.D. (2983). Scientometrics: current performance and prospects. Moscow: Nauka, 344 [in Russian].
- Čech R., Popescu I.-I., Altmann G. (2013). Methods of analysis of a thematic concentration of the text.
Czech and Slovak Linguistic Review, 3, 4–21 https://doi.org/10.1524/glot.2013.0007; Čech R., Garabík R.,
Altmann G. (2015). Testing the thematic concentration of text. Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, 22,
- Boublyk, S.H. (2015). A linguo-statistical analysis of legal acts on R&D: a key approach. Problems of science, 6, 21–26.; Boublyk, S.H. (2016). The Scientific Approach to Analysis of Legal Acts in Science and Technology Field. Science and Science of Science, 2, 26–39 [in Ukrainian].
- The legal system of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws (date of access 15.07.2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Shaptala, N.K., Zadorozhnia, H.V. (2012). The constitutional law of Ukraine. Dnipropetrovsk: Lizunov Pres, 470 [in Ukrainian].
- Big thesaurus of the modern Ukrainian language. V.Т. Busel (ed.). Irpin: “Perun”, 2005, 1728 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Tonkal, V.Ye., Saveliyev, А.А. (1988). The science and technology potential: the structure, dynamics, effectiveness. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 347 [in Russian].
- The philosophic encyclopedic dictionary. V.I. Shybkaruk et al. (eds.). Kyiv: Abris, 2002, 742 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Danylova, І.P. (2015). The legal regulation of R&D in Ukraine: the theoretical and legal aspect. Scientific bulletin of Uzhhorod National University. Series: Law, vol. 3, issue 32,pp. 15–19 [in Ukrainian].
- Malitskyi, B.A., Bulkin, I.O., Yehorov, I.Iu. (2001). The science and technology policy: vital problems of methodology and practice. Kyiv: Ukrainian Institute of Science and Technology Information, 204 [in Ukrainian].
- Yehorov, I.Iu., Zhukovych, I.A., Ryzhkova, Yu.O. The research and innovation potential of Ukraine in international statistical comparisons. Kyiv: Information Analysis Agency, 156 [in Ukrainian].
- Vediernikov, Yu.A., Papirna, A.V. (1008). The theory of the state and the law. Kyiv: Znannia, 333 [in Ukrainian].
- Pearson’s Correlation Coefficient r (Critical Values). Retrieved from http://www.life.illinois.edu/ib/203/Fall%2009/PEARSONS%20CORRELATION%20COEFFICIENT%20TABLE.pdf (date of access 15.08.2017).
- Derets, V.А. (2015). Improving the legal foundations for organization of the executive power bodies system in Ukraine. Constitutional State, 26, 344–351 [in Ukrainian].
- R&D performance in Ukraine: analysis and statistics. Science and Science of Science, 1995, 4(8). Supplement, 96 p. [in Russian].
- 22. Bulkin, I.А. (2016). Priorities of R&D Financing per Employee in Ukraine in Disciplinary Aspect. Science and Science of Science,3, 71–87 [in Russian].
- Bulkin, I. The scales of the crisis in science and technology financing in Ukraine. Retrieved from http://commons.com.ua/uk/masshtaby-krizisa-nauki/ (date of access 20.08.2017) [in Russian].