ACADEMIC AND UNIVERSITY DUALISM OF GLOBAL RESEARCH AREA
1 V.I. LUGOVYY
2 O.M. SLYUSARENKO
2 Zh.V. TALANOVA
1 National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine
2 Institute of Higher Education of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 4(98): 84-97
Section: Science and Education
Abstract: Organizational, financial, personnel characteristics of the modern global research area are analyzed. Eight countries in the world are the biggest investors of financial and human resources in research and development (R&D): the US, China, Japan, Germany, Korea, France, UK, and Russia. The US has the intermediate position by the ratio of business and government sector’s contribution in R&D financing, and also by the university sector as R&D performer (13 %). The share of the university sector in the expenditures on R&D is usually no higher than a quarter, being the largest for Western European universities, and the lowest for East Asian ones. In the US, China, Germany, France and other European countries various out-of-university academic forms for performing R&D are well established. The total absorption of research institutions by universities is impossible due to mission differences. The national research area in Ukraine has been in crisis because of underfunding, with the academies of sciences remaining its institutional core. To enhance the research and innovation capacity of domestic universities, it is necessary to overcome their fragmentation, increase the share of their R&D budgets, strength the dual «teaching and research» function of research and lecturing staff.
Keywords: global research area, research and development, the university sector, non-university academic sector, funding, researchers.
- 1. Smilianska, А. Bringing R&D back to HEEs. Voice of Ukraine, 2016, November 18, issue 220, p. 3 [in Ukrainian].
- Lugovyy, V.І. (2014). From where the money should be taken for funding R&D in a poor university in a poor country? (Thoughts of a researcher and a champion of higher education and R&D). Education: the All-Ukrainian public and political weekly, 47, November 5–12, 6–7 [in Ukrainian].
- The Academic Ranking of World Universities. Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. Retrieved from http://www.arwu.org/.
- Slyusarenko, О.М. (2015). Developing the excellent university potential in the conditions of globalization. Kyiv: Priorytety, 384 [in Ukrainian].
- Lugovyy, V.І., Slyusarenko, О.М., Таlanova, Zh.V. (2015). Research in universities, training in academies: the way in integration of education and R&D. Pedagogy and psychology. Bulletin of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, 4, 11–21 [in Ukrainian].
- Lugovyy, V.І., Slyusarenko, О.М., Таlanova, Zh.V. (2015). Universities and academies: fundamental institutes of the global education and research area. Higher education in Ukraine, 3 (Supplement1: Integration of higher education and R&D), 150–159. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Lugovyy, V.І., Таlanova, Zh.V. (2017). R&D in universities, universities in R&D in the global research area. Higher education in Ukraine, 1, 42–50 [in Ukrainian].
- The best decisions are ones taken with common sense and positive experiences (an interview with academician of the NAS of Ukraine А.H. Zahorodniy). Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences, 2016, 3, 3–10 [in Ukrainian].
- Kremen, V.H. (ed.) (2016). The national report on the performance and development prospects of the education system in Ukraine. Kyiv: Pedahohichna dumka, 448 [in Ukrainian].
- Talanova, Zh.V. (2010). Doctoral training in the world and Ukraine. Kyiv: Milenium, 476 [in Ukrainian].
- Britt Ronda. Universities Report Fourth Straight Year of Declining Federal R&D Funding in FY 2015. Retrieved from https://www.nsf.gov/statistics/2017/nsf17303/nsf17303.pdf.
- Education at a Glance 2016: OECD Indicators. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/education/education-at-a-glance-19991487.htm.
- Human Development Report 2013. The Rise of the South. Human Progress in a Diverse World. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/en/2013-report.
- Human Development Report 2015. Work for Human Development. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/en/2015-report.
- Main Science and Technology Indicators. Volume 2016 Issue 2, OECD Publishing. Retrieved from http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/science-and-technology/main-science-and-technology-indicators_2304277x.
- Science & Engineering Indicators 2016 / National Science Board. Retrieved from http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind16/index.cfm/digest/global.htm.
- Survey of Federal Funds for Research and Development
Fiscal Years 2015–17 / Tables 1–8, 59–60. Retrieved from https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/fedfunds/2015/index.html.
- Yamaner, Michael. Total Federal Research and Development Funding Down 1% in FY 2015, but Funding for Research Up 1%. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/LVI/Downloads/nsf17316.pdf.
- Human Development Report 2016. Human Development for Everyone. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2016_human_development_report.pdf.
- Frascati Manual 2015: Guidelines for Collecting and Reporting Data on Research and Experimental Development, The Measurement of Scientific, Technological and Innovation Activities, OECD Publishing, Paris, 2015. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264239012-en. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264239012-en
- About the National Science Foundation. Retrieved from https://nsf.gov/about/.
- PISA 2015 Results in Focus. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-results-in-focus.pdf.
- The Law of Ukraine “Scientific and science and technology activities”. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/848-19. [in Ukrainian].
- About us. The Chinese Academy of Sciences. Retrieved from http://english.cas.cn/about_us/introduction/201501/t20150114_135284.shtml.
25.Peer Review of the Ukrainian Research and Innovation System. Horizon 2020 Policy Support Facility / European Commission. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/LVI/Downloads/PSF%20Peer%20Review%20of%20the%20Ukrainian%20R&I%20system.pdf.
- Gross domestic product of Ukraine. The Ministry of Finance of Ukraine; Financial portal. Retrieved from http://index.minfin.com.ua/index/gdp/. [in Russian].
- R&D spending by type of work. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/. [in Ukrainian].
- Performance of R&D in 2016. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/LVI/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$DIa0.417/dop_nntd16.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
- Ukraine in figures in 2016: statistical book. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Кyiv: Information Analysis Agency, 2017, 244 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Employment in research organizations by category of personnel. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/. [in Ukrainian].
- Research and innovation activities in Ukraine 2015: statistical book. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Кyiv: Information Analysis Agency, 2016. 258 p. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Higher education”. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18. [in Ukrainian].
- Key indicators of higher education establishments of Ukraine as of the beginning of 2016/17 academic year: statistical bulletin. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/. [in Ukrainian].