TRANSFORMATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT PROSPECTS OF THE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IN UKRAINE
1Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2019, 2(104): 69-94
Section: Science and Innovation-driven development of economy and society
Abstract: The articles contains an in-depth analysis of theoretical and practical aspects of the science and technology management system (STMS), covering the associated notions, its goal and objectives, its structure and phases of reform, its problems and underlying factors, conceptual features of its new architecture. Theoretical and practical aspects of management systems, notions and terms employed in their designing are revised; a definition to STMS is given in the context of the relevant legal and regulatory acts of Ukraine, its goal and objectives are formulated. The Ukrainian STMS is deeply explored, with highlighting the core management bodies and their authorities, the processes and phases of its reforms, creating new elements in particular. An extensive review of the new elements created within the Ukrainian STMS is made: the National Council on Science and Technology Development, the Scientific Committee of the National Council, the Administrative Committee of the National Council, the Identification Committee on Science, and the National Research Foundation of Ukraine. It is argued that in spite of the importance of these new STMS elements, their slow introduction and full-scale operation remains to be highly problematic. The character of external impacts on STMS from the political, social, economic and technological systems are shown. The problems of STMS are classified into technical, system, off-system, and anthropogenic, each one supplied with a detailed description.
Bearing in mind the complexity of the problems, internal and external impacts on the science and technology system performance, it can be admitted that if the situation with the Ukrainian STMS does not change, its outlook will be totally negative. The existence of the current model of STMS, just like its reforms based on previous approaches, would be senseless. The conceptual features of the new STMS architecture and ways out of its crisis are given.
In view of the STMS goal and its current change, with creating new entities led by the National Council on Science and Technology Development, it can be said that the Ukrainian STMS does exist, but it does not feature signs of integrity or mobility, because it was partially dismantled and transformed. The signs of evolutionary processes, creating the potentials for growth, coexist in it with stagnation tendencies with their negative effects.
The most difficult problem that cannot be dealt with by technical means and does not depend on the structural excellence of formal institutes or resources is related with the human consciousness (psychological factor), which in Ukraine was forced to adapt to new economic realities along with the change in the socio-economic setting in 1991. It shows that the personal mental attitudes, ideas, stereotypes formed in a certain type of the environment cannot be fully transformed by the external pressures; but when a person fails to adapt to changes and becomes inactive, mental factors will be turning into a source of destructive influences, demotivating a person or a system «from within». В эту аннотацию внесены правки
Keywords: science and technology, problems of management system, actors and objects of science and science & technology activities, human factor.
- Science and Ukraine. Retrieved from https://mon.gov.ua/ua/nauka/nauka/nauka-v-ukrayini. [in Ukrainian].
- Beer S. (1963). Cybernetics and Management. Transl. from English. Moscow: Nauka, 276 [in Russian].
- Amosov, N. (1968). Modelling: a tool for forecasting and management. In: Cybernetics expected and cybernetics unexpected. Moscow: Nauka, 167–183 [in Russian].
- Amosov, N. (1968). Modeling of complex systems. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 81 [in Russian].
- Ivakhnenko, A.G. (1962). Cybernetic systems with automatic control, capable for learning. Kiev: KDNTP [in Russian].
- Ivakhnenko, O.H. (1963). Cybernetic systems with combined control. Kyiv: the State Publishing House of technical literature of the UkrSSR [in Ukrainian].
- Chernyak, Yu.I. (1975). System analysis in the economic management. Moscow: Ekonomika, 191[in Russian].
- Chernyak, Yu.I. (1975). Analysis and synthesis of system in the economy. Moscow: Ekonomika [in Russian].
- Ackoff R., Emery F. (1974). On Purposeful Systems. from English. Moscow: Sovetskoye Radio, 272 [in Russian].
- Churchman, C.W., Ackoff, R., and Arnoff, E.L. (1968). Introduction to Operations Research. Transl. from English. Moscow: Nauka, 488 [in Russian].
- van Gigch (1981). Applied general systems theory. 2 Vols. Trans. from English. Moscow: Mir, 335 [in Russian].
- Saaty,,Kearns, K. (1991). Analytical Planning: The Organization of Systems. Trans. from English. Moscow: Radio i svyaz, 224 [in Russian].
- Dobrov G.M. (1989). Science about science: the essentials of science studies. 3rd ed., suppl. and revised. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 301 [in Russian].
- Theory of management. Terminology. Issue Moscow: Nauka, 1988, p. 56 [in Russian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Science and science and technology activities”. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/848-19/page2. [in Ukrainian].
- Halchynskyi, A.S. (2006). Global transformations: the conceptual alternatives. Methodological aspects. Kyiv: Lybid, 312[in Ukrainian].
- The Constitution of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254к/96-вр [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Innovation activities”. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/40-15/.
- The Law of Ukraine “Education”. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2145-19?nreg=2145-19&find=1&text=%CD%E0%F3% EA&x=6&y=8. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Higher education”. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18?find=1&text=%ED%E0%F3%EA#w11 [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Science parks”. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/main/1563-17 [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Special regime for innovation activities of technological parks”. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/main/991-14. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Priority areas of innovation activities in Ukraine” from 12. 2012 No 3715. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3715-17. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Priority areas of science and technology development”. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2623-14. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Science and science and technology expert review”. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/51/95-вр. [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Regulation of activities on technology transfer”. Retrieved from http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/143-16. [in Ukrainian].
- Yemets, A. “Maximal openness and transparency: the main principles for operation of the National Research Foundation of Ukraine”. Retrieved from https://dt.ua/SCIENCE/alla-yemec-maksimalna-vidkritist-i-prozorist-osnovni-principi-diyalnosti-nacionalnogo-fondu-doslidzhen-ukrayini-283542_.html [in Ukrainian].
- Mekh, О.А. (2017). Analysis of formal theoretical background for management of science and technology sphere. Science and Science of Science, 1, 22–38 [in Ukrainian].
- The Ukrainian IT market: outcomes of 2017 and outlook for 2018. Retrieved from https://dou.ua/lenta/articles /2017-summary/. [in Russian].
- Richard H. Thaler. Press Release: The Prize in Economic Sciences 2017. Retrieved from https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/2017/press.html
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2005. Retrieved from http://www.webcitation.org/6HXOYFGco.
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2002. Retrieved from http://www.webcitation.org/6HXOWDVq9.