ANALYSIS OF TRENDS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF ENERGY RESEARCH PERFORMED IN INSTITUTIONS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF UKRAINE
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 2(112): 55-63
Section: Problems of the development of science and technology potential
Abstract: The relevance of the research topic is due to the priority of the introduction of alternative sources and the creation of new systems for the production and supply of electricity and heat, which is reflected in the energy systems of most developed countries. An analytical review of statistics on the dynamics of solar electricity prices, as well as specific capital costs and electricity prices for various sources confirms that the concept of the transition of world energy to renewable energy sources has received the necessary technical and economic base.
The results of a retrospective analysis of research performed in research institutions of the Department of Physical and Technical Problems of Energy of NAS of Ukraine (VFTPE NAS of Ukraine), which correspond to the directions of the Energy Program of Ukraine “Unconventional Energy”, “Coal Energy” and “Oil and Gas Complex”, and a comparative assessment of their development trends are shown. A database of completed research in the field of energy, created in the State Institution “Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies”, was used as a tool for the analysis.
The database covers the period since 1995 and contains information on all the research work on departmental topics performed in research institutions of VFTPE NAS of Ukraine. The peculiarity of the database is that the collected information meets a single standard for the entire research period, which ensures the reliability and comparability of data. The amount and composition of information in the database corresponds to the form of the protocol of completed research. The classification of topics by area is based on the rubrication generally accepted in the NAS of Ukraine, which is based on the classification of areas of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine until 2030: “Coal Industry”, “Oil and Gas Complex”, “Electricity”, “Unconventional Energy”, “Nuclear Energy”, “Energy Saving”, “Regional and General Problems of Energy”, “Scientific and Technical Support of Energy”, “Ecology”, and “Problems of Chernobyl”.
An analysis of research in the field of energy, performed by VFTPE NAS of Ukraine, was carried out using indicators of funding, number of research topics and publications on nontraditional energy, by which the trends in research in the field were determined. Results of the analysis allow to conclude that the main trends and directions of research conducted by VFTPE NAS of Ukraine are in line with current global trends, as in recent decades the priorities have shifted towards creating sustainable energy systems based on carbon-free technologies and renewable energy sources. Given the challenges facing energy science during the transition to a carbon-free energy supply system, the conclusion is made on the necessity to expand research in the development and creation of effective systems for long-term storage of electricity.
Keywords: renewable energy sources, electricity, unconventional energy, NAS of Ukraine, research, financing.
- Burch, I. & Gilchrist, J. (2018). Survey of Global activity to phase-out internal combustion. Retrieved from https://www.readkong.com/page/survey-of-global-activity-to-phase-out-internal-combustion-4753160 (last accessed: 10.07.2020).
- Kudrya, S.O. (2015). Status and prospects of renewable energy development in Ukraine. Bulletin of the NAS of Ukraine, 12, 19—26 [in Ukrainian].
- Cengiz, M.S. & Mamis, M.S. (2015). Price-Efficiency Relationship for Photovoltaic Systems on a Global Basis. Int. J. Photoenergy. Vol. 2015. Article ID 256101. http://doi.org/10.1155/2015/256101
- Lobunets, L.G. (2013). The results of monitoring the research of the Department of Physical and Technical Problems of Energy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Science and Science of Science, 4, 82—91 [in Ukrainian].
- Lobunets, L.G. (2018). The results of monitoring the research of the Department of Physical and Technical Problems of Energy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for 2010—2015. Proceedings from: ХХVІІІ Kyiv International Symposium on Science and History of Science. (pp. 191—195). Kyiv: Phoenix [in Ukrainian].