WHAT HAS THE UKRAINIAN LEGISLATION PROPOSED TO MANAGEMENT FOR RESEARCH QUALITY?
1 S.M. POREV
1 Institute of Magnetism of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2018, 1(99): 30-42
Section: Development of Science and Technology Potential
Abstract: This article represents the study of Ukrainian legislative documents in order to define, how they promote scientific quality, performance and excellence. The research management problem is defined as a limitation to use direct research and knowledge management and a reason for implementation of indirect criteria. The study shows that aims, principles and requirements on scientific quality, excellence and performance as motivated proposals mainly absent in Ukrainian legislation and they have no systemic context for realization. It is noted, that an operative use of scientific degrees and academic titles as criteria of scientific quality leads to the weakness of policy, because they mainly represent the social status and qualification. Another weaken position in legislation is an absence of requirements for research assessment of individual scientists in order to stimulate research excellence and competition between them. The main result is that socioeconomic transformations may damage the unity of research policy, legislation and management and change the values of cognitive and creative activities.
Keywords: research management, knowledge creation, science legislation, bibliometric indicators, scientific degrees, academic titles, quality, excellence, performance.
- The Law of Ukraine “Higher education”. Retrieved from http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18/page2 [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Science and sciene and technology activities”. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/848-19 [in Ukrainian].
- Illiashenko, S.M., & Illiashenko, N.S. (2016). Opportunities and threats of the fourth industrial revolution and their reflection in the selection of innovative growth strategies. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 11–21. Retrieved from http://mmi.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/journals/2016/1/11-21 [in Ukrainian].
- Order of Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine “On approval of the Order of forming the List of scientific professional periodical editions of Ukraine”, adopted 17.10.2012, No 1111. Retrieved from http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1850-12 [in Ukrainian].
- Order of the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine “On publication the results of the thesis for getting the scientific degree of doctor and candidate of sciences”, adopted 17.10.2012, No 1112. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1851-12 [in Ukrainian].
- Order of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine “On approval of the Order on assignment of academic titles to scientific and scientific-pedagogical workers”, adopted 14.01.2016, No 13. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0183-16 [in Ukrainian].
- National report on the state and prospects of education development in Ukraine (2016). National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine; V.H. Kremen (ed.). Kyiv: Pedahohichna dumka [in Ukrainian].
- Porev, S.M., & Sandyga, I.V. (2016). The Way of University Science. Kyiv: Khimdzhest [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On approving of the Order on conferment of scientific degrees”, adopted 24.07.2013, No 567. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/567-2013-%D0%BF [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “Some aspects of the implementation of Article 42 of the Law of Ukraine ‘Higher education’”, adopted 05.12.2014, No 726. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/726-2014-%D0%BF [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On approval of the Licensing conditions for conducting educational activities of educational institutions”, adopted 30.12.2015, No 1187. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1187-2015-%D0%BF [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “Some aspects of the election and appointment of the manager of state scientific institution”, adopted 14.12.2016, No 998. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/998-2016-%D0%BF/paran10#n10 [in Ukrainian].
- Bornmann, L. & Daniel, H.-D. (2008). What do citation counts measure? A review of studies on citing behavior. Journal of Documentation, 64 (1), 45–80. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410810844150
- Chang, R. (1997). Incommensurability, Incomparability, and Practical Reason. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1 Chang, H. (2016). Peer review of the Ukrainian research and innovation system (Horizon 2020 Policy Support Facility). Luxembourg: Publications Office of the EU.
- European Union. (2011). The analysis of the legislation of Ukraine in the sphere of research, developments and innovation activity and suggestions for amendments for legislation (Project “Enhance Innovation Strategies, Policies and Regulation in Ukraine”). Kyiv: Phoenix.
- Hicks, D. (2011). Performance-based university research funding systems. Research Policy, 41(2), 251–261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2011.09.007
- Klincewicz, K. (2015). Stairway to Excellence Country Report: POLAND. (European Commission, JRC Science and Policy Report, Ed.: N. Harrap). Luxembourg: Publications Office of the EU.
- Kuhn, T.S. (1982). Commensurability, Comparability, Communicability. Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association, 2: Symp. and Invited Papers, 669–688. https://doi.org/10.1086/psaprocbienmeetp.1982.2.192452
- Lakatos, I. (1978). The methodology of scientific research programmes. Philosophical Papers, vol. I, J. Worral & G. Currie, (eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511621123
- Nowotny, H., Scott, Р. & Gibbons, М. (2003). Introduction: ‘Mode 2’ Revisited: the New Production of Knowledge. Minerva, 41(3), 179–194. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025505528250
- Rip, A. (2014). The past and future of RRI. Life Sciences, Society and Policy, 10 (article 17). 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40504-014-0017-4
- SCImago Journal & Country Rank. SCImago Research Group. Retrieved from http://www.scimagojr.com/
- Schuch, K., Weiss, G., Buesel, K. & Brugner, P. (2016). Ukrainian Research and Innovation System. Background Report. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- Tijssen, R.J.W. (2003). Scoreboards of research excellence. Research Evaluation, 12( 2), 91–103. https://doi.org/10.3152/147154403781776690
- Turri, J. (2012). Is knowledge justified true belief? Synthese, 184(3), 247–259. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-010-9773-8
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics, UIS online database. Retrieved from http://stats.uis. unesco.org
- United Nations. (2013). Innovation Performance Review of Ukraine (Economic Commission for Europe). Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations.
- Von Schomberg, R. (2013). A vision of responsible innovation. In R. Owen, M. Heintz & J. Bessant (eds.), Responsible Innovation: Managing the Responsible Emergence of Science and Innovation in Society (pp. 51–74). London: John Wiley & Sons. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118551424.ch3
- Yegorov, I. (2012). ERAWATCH country reports 2012: Ukraine (ERAWATCH Network – STEPS Centre of the NASU). ERAWATCH Network.