ACADEMIC ORGANIZATIONS OF YOUNG SCIENTISTS AND SPECIALISTS ACROSS THE WORLD
1 О.A. GRACHEV,
1 V.I. HOREVIN
1G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2018, 3(101): 50-74
Section: Foreign science. International science and technology cooperation
Abstract: The main reasons behind the rise of young academic organizations in many countries are the decreased merit of science and technology activities, impossibilities of articulating own attitudes to the events and processes associated with science and technology, ineffective mechanisms for financing of newcomers, conservativeness of academic science. Good practices of young academies which, by reliance on the assistance from national academies of sciences, public and international organizations and their colleagues from analogous entities, can deal with problems of young researchers are worth special attention. The article’s objective is to analyze underlying principles of young researchers’ organizations in the global, regional and national context, to find out overall and specific features in the operation of young academies across the world, and their contributions in the realization of creative capacities of young researchers.
The activities of the Global Young Academy, as well as academic organizations of young scientists (young academies) in selected countries of the world and two European academies is analyzed. The purpose of these young academies is to create opportunities for realizing the potential of scientific youth and its involvement in solving socially significant tasks of global, national and regional significance. Extensive reviews of the Young Academy (Germany), the National Academy of Young Scientists (Pakistan), the Young Academy of Europe, the ArabGerman Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities are given. Detailed data on young academies are shown, including distribution of young academies and their analogues by region and country, full title of academy, year of creation, number of members, share of women, essential characteristics. It is demonstrated that the distinctive features of young academies are the existence of a clear charter, membership based on the international level of research and socially significant activities, constant rotation of members and executive bodies, participation in the international science and technology cooperation, adressing problems of science policy and education, interactions with national research institutions, including Academy of Sciences, as well as with authorities and public organizations.
Keywords: young academies, Global Young Academy, young researchers, academy of sciences, council of young researchers.
- Kopelevich, Yu.Kh., Ozhygova, Ye.P. Scientific academies in West Europe and North America countries. Leningrad: Nauka (Leningrad branch), 416 [in Russian].
- Academies of Sciences in the countries of Europe: 2 vols. The NAS of Ukraine, the Vernadskyi National Library ofUkraine. О.S. Оnishchenko et al. (eds.). Kyiv, 2012. Vol. 1, 648 p. Vol. 2, 1140 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Malitsky, B.A., Hrachev, O.O., Kubalskyi, O.N., Kornilov, V.A., Rybachuk, V.P., Khorievin, V.I., et al. (2016). The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine: a statistical and scientometric analysis of the effectiveness of the research potential. V.L. Bohdanov (ed.) Kyiv: Phoenix, 228 [in Ukrainian].
- The Korean Academy of Science and Technology. Retrieved from http://firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Chilean Academy of Sciences. Retrieved from http://www.academia-ciencias.cl
- Global Young Academy. Retrieved from http://www.globalyoungacademy.net
- International and national organization in the field of science studies: a brief directory. Malitsky, B.A., Khramov, Yu.О. (eds.). Kyiv: Phoenix, 2017, 72 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Vashulenko, О.S. (2018). Foreign practices of work with scientific youth: the case of Young Academies. Science and Science of Science, 1, 61—72 [In Ukrainian].
- Die Junge Akademie. Retrieved from http://www.diejungeakademie.de.
- Academia cubana de ciencias. Retrieved from http://www.academiaciencias.cu
- The National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Retrieved from http://nasb.gov.by [in Russian].
- World Association of Young Scientists. Retrieved from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/science-technology/sti-policy/global-focus/young-scientists/world-association-of-young-scientists-ways
- Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften. Retrieved from http://www.haw.uni-heidelberg.de/
- Die Nordrhein-Westfälische Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Künste. Retrieved from http://www.awk.nrw.de / akademie.html
- Die Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften. Retrieved from http://www.badw.de/de/
- Die Sächsischen Akademie der Wissenschaften. Retrieved from http://www.saw-leipzig.de/de
- Die Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Literatur Mainz. Retrieved from http://www.adwmainz.de/html
- National Academy of Young Scientists of Pakistan. Retrieved from http://www.nays.com.pk
- Thai Academy of Science and Technology. Retrieved from http://www.tast.or.th
- National young academies. Retrieved from http://globalyoungacademy.net/national-young-academies/
- European Science Open Forum. Retrieved from https://www.esof.eu/en/
- Young Academy of Europe. Retrieved from http://yacadeuro.org
- Arab-German Academy of Sciences and humanities. Retrieved from http://agya.info