PATON’S SCIENTIFIC TRADITIONS IN LIGHT OF THE LATEST CHALLENGES TO THE SCIENCE SYSTEM
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2022, 1(115): 04—27
Section: International Symposium “Paton’s Scientific Traditions in Light of New Challenges to the Modern Science”
Abstract: A series of original scientific traditions of B.Ye. Paton, giving evidence of his unexcelled innovativeness in administration and management of the science system. The distinctive features of organization of the activities of the Academy of Sciences, initiated by B.Ye. Paton and built on the innovation model that was new for 70s of the past century, which integrated research with industry through specific structures and their interaction schemes. The organizational structure of the Academy, created by B.Ye. Paton, conformed with the network-centric model of operation, which novelty resulted from a number of obligatory requirements and principles of integrating all the components of the research process with industry.
Based on statistical data and facts, it is shown that B.Ye. Paton during the earliest 10– 15 years of being at the head of the Academy could employ the network-centric model to create a vast organizational system; this model acquired more express features and capabilities at the Academy scales, but the unchanging requirement for its high performance remained to be the acknowledged scientific leader as its top manager and administrator. It is emphasized that this model was built as the quintessence of comprehensive reforms conducted in the Academy under the leadership of B.Ye. Paton and encompassing its organizational structure, technological facilities for research, training and employment of staff, solutions for problems of interactions with industry, creation of conditions for the social development of the Academy.
It is demonstrated that the goal and essence of the Paton’s reform of the Academy was the enhancement of basic research in all the institutes as the fundament for mass-scale targeted research focused on producing results at the global level for their practical uses.
It is shown that B.Ye. Paton took care about the development of all the scientific fields: technical, natural, social and humanitarian. This contribution of him is elaborated on by case of space industry in postwar and independent Ukraine.
A detailed analysis is devoted to the Paton’s effort aimed at enhancing the Academy’s staff and technical facilities, his contribution to the social development of the Academy, training and support of young researchers, creating trial and experimental research facilities, expanding international science & technology cooperation of domestic researchers in independent Ukraine, founding the Kyiv school for science policy studies.
The great importance of another B.Ye. Paton’s initiative is highlighted, which was the Guidelines for the Development of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for 2014– 2023, elaborated with reference to historic traditions and providing firmly grounded responses to the modern challenges. It is stressed that although the Guidelines was up-dated and improved after the election of the new President of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, it remained to be grounded on the network-centric model supposed to pave the way to the gradual revival of the Academy as the science & technology platform for the innovation-driven development of the country with focus on basic research and tech technologies.
Keywords: scientific traditions of B.Ye. Paton, Academy, network-centric model for organization of the Academy’s activities, basic research, R&D, rocket and space science and technology, young researchers, social development of Academy, international cooperation of researchers, guidelines for Academy development.
- Onyshchenko, O.S., Dubrovina, L.A., & Makovetska, O.K. (2018). The steerman of the Ukrainian science system. The life and creative path of B.Ye. Paton. Commemorating the centenary of the birth. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, V.I. Vernadskyi National Library of Ukraine. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- (2012). B.Ye. Paton: 50 years at the head of the НАН України. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Kyiv: Akademperiodyka [in Ukrainian].
- Paton B.E. et al. (Eds.) (2018). The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (1918—2018). The 100th Anniversary of Its Foundation. The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Kyiv: Akademperiodyka. https://doi.org/10.15407/akademperiodyka.366.332
- (2011). Selected works of academician V.I. Vernadslyi. Vol. 1: Volodymyr Ivanovych Vernadskyi and Ukraine. Book 1: Scientific and administrative activities (1918—1921). The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the Commission of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine on the Scientific Legacy of Academician V.I. Vernadskyi, V.I. Vernadskyi National Library of Ukraine, Dobrov Center for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Kyiv: V.I. Vernadskyi National Library of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Dovrov, G.M., Stogniy, B.S., & Tonkal, B.Ye, et al. (1988). Administrative organization in the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic: experiences and problems (1961—1986). The Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, the Center for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
- Onopriyenko V.I. (2019). Science policy studies of G.M. Dobrov: international context and practice of reforms in the Academy of Sciences of the UkrSSR. Science and Science of Science, 3, 75—87 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2019.03.075
- (2021). The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The history of rocket and space science in Ukraine. Kyiv: Phoenix [in Ukrainian].
- (2021). International Symposium “Paton traditions in light of new challenges to the modern science”. Science and Science of Science, 4, 3—6 [in Ukrainian].
- Malitskyi, B.А., & Malitskyi, E.B. (2020). The financing of rocket and space industry from the global and national perspective: a scientific analytical report. Kyiv: Phoenix [in Ukrainian].
- Bulkin, І.О. (2014). Specifics of financing of science & technology development in the military & industrial complex of Ukraine. Science and Science of Science, 3, 23—38 [in Ukrainian].
- The website of the State Service for Expert Control of Ukraine. URL: http://www.dsecu.gov.ua/ control/uk/publish/article?art_id=41874&cat_id=41873 (last accessed: 02.12. 2021) [in Ukrainian].
- Popovych, Z.О. (2021). New political dimensions of the U.S. President Administration in Science and Technology. Science and Science of Science, 2, 100—102 [in Ukrainian].
- Ashcheulova, N.А., et al (Eds.) (2009). Reforms in science and technology in the Russian Federation and the Chinese People’s Republic: results and outlooks. Saint-Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya [in Russian].
- (2004). Dobrov Hennadiy Mykhailovych (1929—1989). Collection. 2nd ed., rev. and suppl. Kyiv: Phoenix [in Ukrainian].
- Bogdanov, V.L. (2019). The Guidelines of the Development of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for 2014-2023: Consideration for Historical Traditions and Facing Modern Challenges. Proceedings from: International Symposium “National Academies of Sciences: Modern Status, Problems, Prospects of Development and Priorities of Cooperation in the IAAS Framework”, 27—34, Kyiv: Nash format [in Russian].
- Bogdanov, V.L., & Kubalskyi, О.N. (2021). On the concept of development of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for 2021—2025. Visnyk of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 12, 38—45 [in Ukrainian].