SCIENCE POLICY STUDIES OF G.M. DOBROV: INTERNATIONAL CONTEXT AND PRACTICE OF REFORMS IN THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UkrSSR
1 V.I. ONOPRYENKO
1 Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2019, 3(105): 75-88
Section: 90th anniversary of Gennadiy Mykhailovych Dobrov
Abstract: The research and administrative work of Gennadiy Mikhaylovich Dobrov (1929—1989), the founder of science policy studies in Ukraine, is analyzed in the context of:
- processes in the global science, by which science policy studies could establish as a scientific discipline: science policy studies got a powerful impulse in 60s of the past century, when science and technology development entered a new phase of mega-programs like nuclear or space ones, laying grounds for the so called “big science”;
- works of foreign scientists, laying the fundament for the information approach in science policy studies, first and foremost Science Citation Index created by Garfield;
- methodological program of cybernetics and informatics formulated by academician V.M. Glushkov: G.M. Dobrov was committed to the information approach to investigating science policy problems; the information concept of the science process, justified by G.M. Dobrov under direct impact of V.M. Glushkov, arose from elaborations of science effectiveness issues; it implies that the research process can be described by information flows that occur in collecting and processing of information in order to produce new knowledge and its practical applications;
- reforms in the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (UkrSSR), launched by academician B.Ye. Paton and intended to enhance the material and technical capacities of basic research in the Academy institutes as a means for expanding the research for economic needs; these reforms were supported by science policy analysis, and it was this period (60–70s of the past century) when the experimental facilities for research were built in the Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR; ample evidence (statistics and facts) of massive research and technical capacity building in the Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR are given.
It is shown that G.M. Dobrov’s information concept of science policy studies had great importance for organizational support of the reforms in the Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR.
Keywords: science policy studies, cybernetics, informatics, forecasting, Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
- Bernal, J.D. (1939). The social function of science. London, 482 [in English].
- Dobrov, G.M. (1966). Science of science. Introduction to general study of science. Moscow: Science, 271 [in Russian].
- Price, D. (1966). Science of science. Moscow: Progress, 442 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.2307/395001
- Dobrov, G.M., Korennoy, A.A. (1977). Science: information and management. (Information problems of science management). Moscow: Sov. radio, 256 [in Russian]; Dobrov, G.M. (1969). Science and technology forecasting. Moscow: Nauka, 208 [in Russian]; Dobrov, G.M. (1977). Science and technology forecasting (2nd ed.). Moscow: Nauka, 209 [in Russian]; Dobrov, G.M., Korennoy, A.A., et al. (1989). Forecasting and assessement of scientific and technological innovations. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 276 [in Russian].
- Glushkov, V.M., Dobrov, G.M., Tereshchenko, V.I. (1974). Talks on management. Moscow: Nauka, 224 [in Russian].
- Glushkov, V.M., Dobrov, G.M., Ershov, Yu.V. (1971). Methodology of programme forecasting of science and technology. Moscow: State Committee on Scienceand Technology of the USSR, 138 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Klimenyuk, V.N., Smirnov, L.P., Savelyev, A.A. (1969). Potential of science. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 152 [in Russian]; Dobrov, G.M., Klimenyuk, V.N., Savelyev, A.A. (1970). Organization of science. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 204 [in Russian]; Dobrov G.M., Klimenyuk, V.M., Samoylov, G.O., et al. (1971). Management of science. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 268 [in Ukrainian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Ershov, Yu.V., Levin, E.I. (1975). Expert assessments in forecasting of scientific and technological progress. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 345 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Korennoy, A.A., Moldovanov, M.I., et al. (1985). Management by objectives technology. Kiev: Tekhnika, 206 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Stogniy, B.S., Tonkal, V.E., et al. (1988). Management organization at the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR: experience and challenges (1961–1986). Kiev: Naukova dumka, 354 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Maruschak, V.T., Baydakov, V.V., et al. (1986). Research centers of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR: experience and prospects. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 207 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M., Tonkal, V.E., Savelyev, A.A., Malitsky, B.A., et al. (1987). Scientific and technological potential: structure, dynamics, efficiency. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 346 [in Russian].