THE PUBLICATION ACTIVITY OF SCIENTISTS FROM PEDAGOGICAL UNIVERSITIES OF UKRAINE (2010–2020) THROUGH THE PRISM OF SCOPUS AND WEB OF SCIENCE DATABASES
1 Volodymyr Vynnychenko Central Ukrainian State Pedagogical University, Kropyvnytskyi, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 1(111): 63-80
Abstract: The aim of the article is to determine the features and dynamics of the publication activity of scientists of pedagogical universities in Ukraine using indicators of scientometric databases Scopus and Web of Science over the second decade of the 21th century.
For this purpose, a general population of Ukrainian pedagogical universities was formed, which profiles were presented in at least one of the databases, Scopus and Web of Science, and the total number of indexed publications, the total number of citations, h-index and the structure of the main research areas of scientists from pedagogical universities was analyzed by mathematical and statistical methods as of the end of September 2020. In addition, the above mentioned characteristics were analyzed by Web of Science in form of time series of the publication activity over the last 10 years for each pedagogical university on the basis of Web of Science.
As a result, a significant correlation was found between the main general indicators of pedagogical universities in these scientometric databases, both between the indicators within the databases and between them. The analysis of indexing the research conducted by pedagogical university scientists by each of the databases showed different approaches by the service provides’ management to the expansion for the publication coverage. An analysis of the time series on publication activity of the scientists from pedagogical universities over 2010—2020 showed that since 2015 the number of indexed publications and indicators of indexing links measured by Web of Science have grown in most part of pedagogical universities because of the enforced requirement for the existence of indexed works of scientists as a mandatory license condition, and because Web of Science database started indexing a number of new Ukrainian scientific editions on humanitarian, pedagogical and interdisciplinary issues. Also, it was revealed that the articles of scientists from pedagogical universities, which have been published during the period under study, had university-specific impact on the formation of the nucleus of the h-index.
Keywords: pedagogical university, scientometric databases, Web of Science database, SCOPUS database, publication activity of scientists, indexation of works, citations, h-index.
- The ranking of the universities according to Scopus 2020. Retrieved from http://osvita.ua/ vnz/rating/72780/ (last accessed: 16.07.2020) [in Ukrainian].
- Palekha, Yu.I. (2018). The rating of Ukrainian science in the international scientific and information space. Library science. Documentation. Informology, 1, 58—66 [in Ukrainian].
- Siniksaran, E., Satman, M.H. (2020). WURS: a simulation software for university rankingssoftware review. Scientometrics, 122(1), 701—717. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-019-03269-8
- Spivakovskyi, O., Vinnyk, M., Poltoratskyi, M., Tarasich, Yu., Bystriantseva, A., Panova, K., & Spivakovska, Ye. (2018). The rating system for scientometric indicators of the universities: the main aspects, development, implementation. Collection of the scientific works “Information technologies in Education”, 37, 24—39. https://doi.org/10.14308/ite000678 [in Ukrainian].
- Amancio, D.R., Nunes, M.G.V., Oliveira, Jr. O.N., da Costa, L.F. (2012). Using complex networks concepts to assess approaches for citations in scientific papers. Scientometrics, 91(3), 827—842. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-012-0630-z
- Simoes, N., Crespo, N. (2020). A flexible approach for measuring author-level publishing performance. Scientometrics, 122(1), 331—355. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-019-03278-7
- Daraio, C., Bonaccorsi, A., Simar, L. (2015). Rankings and university performance: A conditional multidimensional approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 244 (3), 12774, 918—930. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.02.005
- Costas, R., Bordons, M. (2008). Is g-index better than h-index? An exploratory study at the individual level. Scientometrics, vol. 77, issue 2, 267—288. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-1997-0
- Schreiber, M., Malesios, C.C., Psarakis, S. (2011). Categorizing h-index variants. Research Evaluation, 20(5), 397—409. https://doi.org/10.3152/095820211X13176484436131
- Miroiu, A., Păunescu, M., Vîiu, G.-A. (2015). Ranking Romanian academic departments in three fields of study using the g-index. Quality in Higher Education, 21(2), 189—212. https://doi.org/10.1080/13538322.2015.1051794
- Shtovba, S.D., Shtovba, O.V. (2016). The analysis of the scientometric indicators of evaluation of scientific achievements. Bulletin of Vinnytsia Polytechnic Institute, 1, 115—123 [in Ukrainian].
- Aksnes, D.W., Schneider, J.W., Gunnarsson, M. (2012). Ranking national research systems by citation indicators. A comparative analysis using whole and fractionalised counting methods. Journal of Informetrics, 6(1), 36—43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2011.08.002
- Shtovba, S.D., Shtovba, E.V. (2013). A citation index with allowance for the implicit diffusion of scientific knowledge. Scientific and Technical Information Processing, 40. 3, 142—145. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0147688213030040
- Moskaleva, O.V. (2014). The university rankings and scientific journals. The scientific periodicals: problems and solutions, 4(4), 9—20. https://doi.org/10.18334/np44139 [in Russian].
- Molinari, J.F. & Molinari, A. (2008). A new methodology for ranking scientific institutions. Scientometrics, 75(1), 163—174. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-1853-2
- Molinari, A. & Molinari, J.F. (2008). Mathematical aspects of a new criterion for ranking scientific institutions based on the h-index. Scientometrics, 75(2), 339—356. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-1872-z
- Solovianenko, D. (2012). Policy of indexing publications in scientometric databases Web of Science and SciVerse Scopus. Library Bulletin, 1, 6—21 [in Ukrainian].