PATENT LANDSCAPE: A STRATEGIC TOOL FOR INNOVATION-DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT (THE CASE OF 3D PRINTING)
Research Institute of Intellectual Property of the Ukrainian National Academy of Law
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 2(96): 52-68
Section: Development of Science and Technology Potential
Abstract: The analytical capabilities, theory and methodology of the patent landscape are studied. An economic analysis of the additive technologies market is made by case of 3D printing. It is shown that the patent landscape as a strategic tool for innovation-driven development enables for finding out change in the size of patent portfolios of the main players at the 3D print market, distribution of published applications for inventions in this field by country of application, for 60 percent reduction in time spent on R&D and 40 percent reduction in R&D costs. Detailed account of 3D printing performance in Ukraine is given; statistical data on invention and patent activity in additive technologies in Ukraine are shown. It is concluded that the patent landscape is an effective tool for competitive intelligence, adoption of strategic decisions at inventor, corporation, industry or country level.
Keywords: additive technologies, inventive activity, patent landscape, 3D-printing, innovation-driven development.
- Kay, L., et al., Patent Overlay Mapping: Visualizing Technological Distance, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2014 (in press). Retrieved from http://www.kurzweilai.net/new-patent-mapping-system-helps-find-innovation-pathways https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.23146
- Scientists have created a map of the global technological landscape. Retrieved from https://ria.ru/science/20130902/960286072.html [in Russian].
- Czajkowski, A. (2013) Patent Landscape Reports: Introduction and WIPO Project. Forum “Innovation Potential of Russia” Moscow: FIPS.
- Trippe, A. The Art of Patent Landscaping– Guest Post by Aalt van de Kuilen. 16 March 2015. Retrieved from patinformatics.com›the-art-of-patent-landscaping…
- Patent Landscape Reports WIPO. Retrieved from http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/programs/patent_landscapes/index.html
- Lubitel Yuriy. AGEPI has launched “National Patent Landscape”. Retrieved from http://dosug.md/ru/news/192074/ [in Russian].
- “Patent Landscape” will be created in Russia from 2017 at the level of the state program. Retrieved from https://www.pnp.ru/social/2016/07/06/patentnyy-landshaft-sozdadut-vrossii-s-2017-goda-naurovne-gosprogrammy.html [in Russian].
- Methodological recommendations on preparation of reports on patent overview (patent landscape). Retrieved from http://www1.fips.ru/file_site/metod_reccomed-itog3.pdf [in Russian].
- Patent landscapes: national and foreign publications: bibliographic directory. Moscow, 2013, p. 19. Retrieved from http://test2.fips.ru/wps/wcm/connect/c0950a8045fbcf7fb39eb3330076bb4b/pat_land.pdf?MOD=AJPERES [in Russian].
- Androshchuk, H.O., Kopyl, Ya.V. (2016). 3D printing in the era of innovation technologies: problems of regulation. Intellectual property in Ukraine, 5, 17–26 [in Ukrainian].
- 3D Printer Market Sales Will Exceed $14.6 billion in 2019. Retrieved from http://blogs.gartner.com/pete-basiliere/2015/09/29/3d-printer-market-sales-will-exceed-14-6-billion-in-2019/
- Fedorov, S.V. A patent portrait of 3D printer in an interior. Retrieved from https://geektimes.ru/post/232759/ [in Russian].
- 3D printers (global market). Retrieved from http://www.tadviser.ru/index.php/%D0%A1%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C%D1%8F:3D-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%8B_(%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%BA)[in Russian].
- 3D Printing. A patent overview. November 2013. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/445232/3D_Printing_Report.pdf
- World Intellectual Property Report Breakthrough Innovation and Economic Growth. Retrieved from http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_944_2015.pdf
- Bakardzhiyeva, S. Additive production: at the peak of high expectations. Retrieved from http://www.umpro.ru/index.php?page_id=17&art_id_1=610&group_id_4=110 [in Russian].
- Chernyshov, S.І. 2006). Enhancing the effectiveness of integrated technologies for layered cultivation of products on the basis of statistical forecasting. Abstracts of thesis for PhD in engineering. Kharkiv, 21 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Vlasenko, V. A surprise box: how 3D printing in Ukraine turned from a toy into business. Retrieved from https://daily.rbc.ua/rus/show/shkatulka-syurprizom-3d-pechat-ukraine-igrushki-1477311053.html [in Russian].
- Burova, О.О. (2016). Some aspects of MPC applications at the current phase of technology development. Intellectual property in Ukraine, 9, 29–33 [in Ukrainian].
- Androshchuk, H.O. (2017). Additive technologies: prospects and problems of 3D printing. Science, technologies, innovations, 1(1), 68–77 [in Ukrainian].