ANALYSIS OF THE INNOVATION PERFORMANCE IN UKRAINE AND WAYS FOR ITS ENHANCEMENT
1 А.I. YAKOVLEV
1 National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute”, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2018, 2(100): 29-44
Section: Science and Innovation-driven development of economy and society
Abstract: Innovating and innovations are a primary factor for the development of a national economy. As the innovation performance in Ukraine remains to be low, system studies focused on identifying its reasons and finding the ways for the performance enhancement are of great practical importance. The article’s objective is to scrutinize the innovation performance in Ukraine and offer ways to improve it.
Indicators measuring the innovation performance in Ukraine are shown. Its three components, economic, social and legal, are analyzed. The economic component can be improved by setting up priorities of the innovation-driven development with consideration to the financial and time limits, the extended participation of domestic businesses in value added chains of transnational corporations, elaborating an advanced domestic method for assessing the effectiveness of innovations. The social component can be enhanced through creating new jobs and elaborating an advanced system for stimulations to innovators. The legal component can be improved though adjusting the taxation system to the innovation-specific purposes, to the needs of domestic producers protection, stimulation of domestic investment in the Ukrainian economy, government guarantees to investors etc. Perpetual problems faced by the innovation sector in Ukraine (poor financing, out-dated technical facilities) are highlighted. Methods for innovation priority setting, for evaluation of the effectiveness of innovation lending, for stimulation of innovating are proposed. A model for assessing interest rates on loans by the results of specific innovation projects is constructed as part of the study, and tested by data from 20 outstanding innovation-investment projects in Ukraine. A review of successful stories of innovation stimuli in Ukraine and beyond is given. Measures of government support to innovating are discussed.
Keywords: innovation, level of development, financing, prioritization, lending, staff training, sti mulation, legislation, state support.
- Heiets, V.M., Semynozhenko, V.P. (2006). Innovation prospects of Ukraine. Kharkiv: Konstanta, 272 [in Ukrainian].
- Malitsky, B.А. (2014). Science, technologies, innovations and the national security: theoretical and applied issues. Makarov: “Sophiya”, 58 [in Russian].
- Preisler, D., Zhalilo, Ya., Sobkevych, O., et al. (2014). New realization of the transit potential of Ukraine: a factor enhancing economic relations between Europe and Asia. Economy of Ukraine, 4, 47–59.
- Hrechana, I.I., Popov, I.A. (2017). Developing transport communications in international cooperation. Economy of Ukraine, 4, 56–66 [in Ukrainian].
- Kharazashvili, Yu.M., Liashenko, V.M. (2017). Problems of assessment and integration of sustainable development. Economy of Ukraine, 2, 3–23 [inUkrainian].
- Mazur, V.V. (2017). Problems of the industrial policy in Ukraine. Economy of Ukraine, 12, 47–60 [in Ukrainian].
- Planning and compulsory purchase bill. Retrieved from https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmbills/012/0312/i-vii.ntmo
- Martin Ben R. (2002). Technology foresight in rapidly globalizing / international Practice in Technology foresight. Vienna: UNIDO.
- Yakovlev, А.І. (2013). A methodological framework for selecting priority direction of the innovation development in Ukraine. Science and Science of Science, 4, 45–57 [in Ukrainian].
- Keynes, J. (1999). General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money. Trans. from English. Moscow: Gelos АRМ, 352 [in Russian].
- Use of interests and their rates for bank transactions in the USSR. Moscow: Gosbank SSSR, 1988, 7 p. [in Russian].
- The method for computation of the economic effectiveness of expenditure for research and development and its implementation in production. Kyiv: Ministry of Economy, 2006, 18 p. [in Ukrainian].
- Yakovlev, А.І. (2017). A method for computation of the effectiveness of investment, innovations, management decisions in the present-day conditions. 2nd ed., revised and suppl. Kharkiv: Publishing House “Pidruchnyk NTU ‘KhPI’”, 100 [in Ukrainian].
- The Economist, 3 September 1994, p. 9.
- Vasiliyev, Yu.P. (2009). Innovation management of the production development in the U.S., or how the labor productivity can be increased. Moscow: Ekonomika, 446 [in Russian].
- Fox, J. (2017). The U.S. trade policy of: it is time start gain. Economy of Ukraine, 56, 16–30 [in Ukrainian].
- Heiets, V.M. (2017). Why it is high time to start again. Economy of Ukraine, 56, 31–38 [in Ukrainian].
- Grytsenko, А.А. (2017). The logical and historical background for cardinal economic change and transition to the reconstructive development. Economy of Ukraine, 56, 39–56 [in Ukrainian].
- National Science Board. 2016 Science Engineering Indicators, 2016. Arlington, National Science Foundation (NSB-2016-1). Table 4.4.
- Riepina, І.М. (2017). Intellectualization of the society as a strategic condition for the innovation-driven development of Ukraine. Proceedings from: The 6th International scientific and practical conference “Problems of building and developing innovation infrastructure: challenges of post-industrial economy”. (pp. 828–829). Lviv: Lviv Politechnika, on-line version [in Ukrainian].
- Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P. (2004). The Balanced Scoreboard: translating strategy into action. Trans. from English. Moscow: “Olimp-business” 330 [in Russian].
- Skudar, H. (2000). The strategy for competitiveness enhancement of a business enterprise: the problem and constituents of success. Economy of Ukraine, 6, 16–24 [in Russian].
- Astafiyev, V.Ye., Povolotskiy, L.Ya., Khaykin, V.P. (1988). Economic stimuli in new economic conditions. Moscow: Ekonomika, 214 [in Russian].
- Sokolovska, L.М. (2012). Forming tax policy in the conditions of uncertainty. Finance of Ukraine, 11, 44–51 [in Ukrainian].
- Yefimenko, Т.І. (2013). Important issues of modern strategies for tax system reforms. Finance of Ukraine, 3, 7–26 [in Ukrainian].
- Melnik, V.М. (2016). Taxation: scientific justification and organization of the process. Kyiv: Computerpres, 277 [in Ukrainian].
- The Law of Ukraine “Innovation activities” from 04.07.2002 No 40-ІV. Retrieved from http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/cgi-bin/laws/main.htm [in Ukrainian].