A STORY OF THE REFORMS IN THE UKRAINE’S RAILWAY TRANSPORT: BUILDING REPAIR FACILITIES OF THE DONETSK RAILWAY ROLLING-STOCK SECTOR (1925—1941)
Department of Corporate Social Responsibility of JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia”, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2020, 3(109): 116-130
Section: Science and technology history
Abstract: Historical events related with reorganization of the industrial activities in the Luhansk Railway Workshops and its influence on building up repair facilities of the Donetsk Railway rolling-stock sector are investigated. The study is based on information from large-circulation periodicals of Ukrainian linear railway enterprises, minutes of the meetings of the Politburo of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the Soviet Union in the early 1930s on issues of transport industry reorganization. The purpose of the article is to provide a holistic view of the production process reorganization at the Luhansk Wagon Repair Plant and reveal its influence on repair facility building at the Donetsk Railway. The article analyzes the course of the reconstruction at the Luhansk Mechanical Coal Engineering Plant and the construction of the Luhansk Pipe Foundry Plant of the People’s Commissariat of Railways. It is demonstrated that the inconsistency of measures for the reconstruction of the enterprise and the unresolved issues of its logistics disrupted the initial program of mining equipment production. Besides, given the high operation intensity of railway transport in the Donbas, there was a need not only for manufacturing of locomotive units but also for the localization of the rolling-stock overhaul on site, which raised the problem of returning the former Luhansk Railway Workshops to the PCR. Finally, the Soviet Party leadership decided to build a modern specialized wagon repair plant at Popasna Station and reform the rolling-stock sector by constructing a number of linear wagon repairing stations, including the historic stations of Donetsk Railway, Lugansk, Debaltseve and Popasna. The essential features of the Donetsk Railway reform and the circumstances of facility building at the Popasna Wagon Repair Plant are analyzed.
Keywords: rolling-stock sector, Luhansk Railway Workshops, Popasna Wagon Repair Plant, Izium Locomotive Repair Plant, wagon repairing station, Donetsk Railway.
- Dovnar, G.S. (1972). The great destiny. Essays from the history of A.Ya. Parkhomenko Coal Engineering Plant of Voroshilovgrad. Donetsk: Donbas, 163 [in Russian].
- Gusev, M.I., Klimenko, K.Kh., Maksimov, A.I., & et al. (1970). The steel ways of the Donbas. V.V. Priklonskiy (Ed.). Donetsk, 336 [in Russian].
- Ruban, M.Yu. (2019). The action “Red Echelon” is a labor feat of the staff of the Luhansk Wagon Repair Plant. The proceedings of the 18th All-Ukrainian Science Conference “Relevant Issues of the History of Science and Technology” (Kramatorsk, September 26—28, 2019). The Centre of Monuments Research of the NAS of Ukraine and USPHCM. Kramatorsk. 261— 265 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, M.Yu. (2019). The industrial activity and development of Luhansk Railway Workshops as a part of Donetsk сoal, Katerynynska and South-East Railways (1876—1917). Issues of the history of science and technology. Kyiv: The Centre of Monuments Research of the NAS of Ukraine and USPHCM, 2(50), 9—13 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, M.Yu. (January 2018). The historical circumstances of the foundation and activity of the Luhansk Railway Workshops (1878—1930). Ukrainian Railways: International Technical and Economic Journal, 12(66), 18—21 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, M.Yu. (2019). The development and industrial activity of the Luhansk Railway Workshops as a part of Donetsk Railways (1920—1930). Research in the history and philosophy of science and technology, 28(2), 77—84 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/271918
- Bashkina, V.Ya., & Pobolelov, A.I. (2012). Luhansk in three centuries. Luhansk, 140 [in Russian].
- Passenger’s guide on the South-East Railways. Issue II. Balasheve-Kharkiv, Donetsk Coal, East Donetsk and Yelets-Valuysky lines (1900). Moscow: Publication of the South-East Railway Association, 318 [in Russian].
- Migulin, P.P. (1903). Our latest railway policies and loans (1893—1902). Kharkiv, 372 [in Russian].
- A brief overview of the development and activities of the Ekaterinoslav Railway during the 25 years from 1884 to 1909 (1910). Ekaterinoslav: Tipo-Litografiya Yekaterininskoy zh.d., 73 [in Russian].
- In the Luhansk Railway Workshps (1918, October 30). Slavianoserbskyi khliborob (Luhansk), 266(311), 4 [in Russian].
- Dashkevich, B.N. (1925). The railway workers in the period of the Austro-German occupation of Ukraine in 1918. Moscow: Izd. TsK Zh.D., 214 p. [in Russian].
- On the railway (1918, October 4). Slavianoserbskyi khliborob (Luhansk), 245(290), 4 [in Russian].
- On the railway (1918, September 28). Slavianoserbskyi khliborob (Luhansk), 241(286), 4 [in Russian].
- In the Luhansk Railway Workshops (1918, December 14). Yedineniye (Luhansk), 20(335), 3 [in Russian].
- Khromov, S.S. (Ed.) (1987). Gartman’s plant. The civil war and military intervention in the USSR. Encyclopedia. Moscow: “The Soviet Encyclopedia” (pp. 140—141) [in Russian].
- The power of the workshops of the Donetsk roads (1923, March 17). Yuzhnyy gudok, 58 (422), 4 [in Russian].
- Meeting of boards, road administrations and UTsD (1923, January 27). Yuzhnyy gudok, 18(382), 2 [in Russian].
- Zhukov, G., & Bogucharskiy, G. (1926, June 11). Improving the production quality. Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 132(2228), 4 [in Russian].
- Something has been done, but more is possible (1926, June 1). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 123(2220), 4 [in Russian].
- Zhernovoy, G. (1927, October 25). What do we have on October 10? Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 245(3034), 4 [in Russian].
- Zhernovoy, G. (1927, November 5). Sbornyy has come to life. Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 255(3044), 4 [in Russian].
- No studies (1930, January 2). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 2(3707), 4 [in Russian].
- Zhivoy, G. (1930, June 14). A course for disruption. The seventh construction trust delays the re-equipment of the mechanical plant. Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 136(3836), 5 [in Russian].
- The mechanical plant is at a dead end (1930, November 6). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 239(3959), 1 [in Ukrainian].
- The district administration of the Southern Railway Directorate is opened (1931, July 26). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 170(4172), 2 [in Ukrainian].
- Do not lag behind the advanced (1930, June 5). Chervonyi parotiah (Izium), 1, 1 [in Ukrainian].
- Machines are not used (1930, April 27). Chervonyi parotiah (Izium), 34(51), 1 [in Ukrainian].
- The Southern Directorate must provide the Luhansk Rolling Stock with administration (1931, June 19). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 139(4141), 3 [in Ukrainian].
- We are building a new foundry on the territory of Luhansk (1931, November 21). Luhanska pravda (Luhansk), 263(4265), 3 [in Ukrainian].
- The Russian State Archive of Socio-Political History (RSASPH) Fund 17. Inventory 3. File 907. Sheet 3 [in Russian].
- RSASPH. Fund 17, inventory 3, file 927, sheets 39—60 [in Russian].
- The staff of the Rolling Stock “Debaltsevo-Sortirovochnoye” has celebrated its 85th anniversary (2018, November 21). Zheleznodorozhnik Donbassa (Donetsk), 11(11568), 1 [in Russian].
- Timoshuk, S. (1936, December 28). We repair all wagons on the day of uncoupling. Gudok (Moscow), 298(5039), 2 [in Russian].
- Klimenko, K.Kh., & Aldakimov, D.K. (1981). Popasna: guide. Donetsk: Donbas, 72 [in Russian].
- On the work of the Donetsk Railway. Resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR and the Central Committee of the CPSU (1934, March 14). Zheleznodorozhnik Donbassa (Donetsk), 1, 1 [in Russian].
- In the shops of the new plant (1936, April 20). Zheleznodorozhnik Donbassa (Atremivsk), 92(513), 3 [in Russian].
- Agarkov, I.T., Beloglazov, P.M., Vinogradskiy, F.S. & et al. (1965). Izium Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant has turned 50. Kharkiv: “Prapor”, 62 [in Russian].
- The project of a wagon repairing station is ready (1935, July 14). Gudok (Moscow), 160(4600), 1 [in Russian].
- The technical equipment of the road in 1936 (1936, March 3). Zheleznodorozhnik Donbassa, 51(463), 2 [in Russian].
- Deficiencies can disrupt the start-up of the plant (1936, July 26). Zheleznodorozhnik Donbassa (Artemivsk), 123(594), 2 [in Russian].
- Morozov, F.L. (1938, October 6). The wagon repair plant should be exemplary. Voroshilovgradskaya pravda (Voroshilovgrad), 82(6990), 4 [in Russian].