THE STORY OF CREATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF COSMONAUTICS NAMED AFTER S.P. KOROLEV
National Museum of Cosmonautics named after S.P. Korolev, Zhytomyr, Ukraine;
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2020, 4(110): 130-148
Section: Science and technology history
Abstract: The article’s objective is to summarize little-known facts that were key to the Museum’s development, in particular the contribution of leading researchers and institutions of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine in forming the national fund collection, organizing regular scientific research and support to the international cooperation in popularization of space science and technology.
The research is based on records from the funds of the S. Korolev National Space Museum, the G. Pshenychny Central State Film and Photo Archive of Ukraine, the Central State Scientific and Technical Archive of Ukraine, the Zhytomyr Regional State Archive, scientific publications and reports. The research methodology is based on the general historical methods of scientific research: historical genetic method, historical comparison method and historical systematic method, as well as on the principles of chronological analysis and social approach.
The phases in creating the Museum’s collections are elaborated on. The first phase: creating a memorial collection of personal belongings of academician S. Korolev. The second phase: building the technical facilities of the collection, represented by models of the earliest spacecraft and authentic samples of large space equipment. The third phase: transferring large space equipment and devices to the collection of technological samples. The fourth phase: forming the humanitarian component in the collection through acquisitions of art works and art and craft works, philosophic works by representatives of cosmism, audio and video material on cultural themes. The fifth phase: filling the col lection on cosmonautics by material devoted to the history of international cooperation in the field of space research.
The process of building science and technology component in the Museum’s collection is highlighted, especially in the conditions of secrecy prior to 1991; specifics of the Museum’s scientific collection and the expression of conceptual ideas by means of the Museum exposition are outlined. The museum’s achievements in the international cooperation are analyzed; the Museum’s collaboration with the Museums Committee of the International Astronautical Federation, based on “open science” principles and popularization of knowledge through various forms of museum work, is shown. The Museum’s role in partnership activities on line of Polissya Regional Innovational Space Cluster incorporating staff from R&D, education, museums and business circles is outlined. It is demonstrated that the practices and success of the cooperation with institutions of the NAS of Ukraine determined the current development strategy for the Museum, based on interactions and collaborative research, cultural and education projects of interdisciplinary nature, which requires assessment by experts in various research fields.
Keywords: Chief Designer, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Space Museum, museum concept, museum development, museum funds, the International Astronautical Federation, international cooperation, science popularization.
- The strategy for the space activities in Ukraine for the period till 2022. Retrieved fromhttps://ips.ligazakon.net/document/FN047449 [in Ukrainian] (last accessed: 12.04.2020).
- The concept of creating a regional innovation and space cluster “Polissya” // Annex to the decision of the Zhytomyr Regional Council from 12.11. 2019 No 1708. Retrieved from https://zt.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian] (last accessed: 12.04.2020).
- Boltenko, O.S. (2016). On the occasion of the 25th birthday of the Museum of Astronautics History. Kiev Polytechnic, 17, 145 [in Ukrainian].
- Vovkodav, S.M. (2014). On the history of the creation of the museum of space in Pereiaslav-Khmelnytsky. Proceedings from: 1st International Scientific and Practical Internet Conference “Challenges and Prospects for the Development of Science at the Beginning of the Third Millennium in Europe and Asia”. (pp. 35–38) Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi [in Ukrainian].
- Horelova, S.A. (2009). Achievements of the space industry of Ukraine in museums of Kharkov enterprises. Bulletin of the National Technical University “Kharkiv Politechnic Institute”. Kharkiv: NTU “KhPI”, 29, 26–36 [in Russian].
- Losinskaya, S.V. (2013). Aircraft and aerospace museums in Ukraine today. Scientific Sheets, 8(151), issue 26, 68–73 [in Russian].
7. Shcherbakova, N.M., Mesyac, N.K. (2017). Specifics of formation of the collection of the memorial fund of the Museum of Cosmonautics named after S.P. Korolev. Proceedings from: Scientific and practical conference “All-Ukrainian Museum Forum” (pp. 355–359).
Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi [in Ukrainian]
- Dyachuk, I.D. (2017). International Space Museum Council: Tasks sand Prospects. Proceedings from: Scientific and practical conference “All-Ukrainian Museum Forum” (pp. 131–133). Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi [in Ukrainian].
- Dyachuk, I.D. (2016). Museum of a realized dream. Proceedings from: RUIMTEVAART, 4, 36–45.
- Zosimovich, O. (2018). Space technology museum objects of the exhibition in Korolev Space Museum (Zhytomyr, Ukraine) as historical sources. Web of Scholar, 3(21), 32–35.
- Resolution of the Executive Committee of the Zhytomyr City Council of Workers’ Deputies No 252 of April 5, 1966 “On perpetuation of the memory of Academician S.P. Korolev. The State Archive of Zhytomyr region, form 280, register 5, case 664, sheet 241 [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Bureau of the City Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine and the Executive Committee of the City Council of Workers’ Deputies No 28 of September 18, 1969 “On the establishment in Zhytomyr of the Memorial Museum of the Twice Hero of Socialist Labor Academician S.P. Korolev ”. The State Archive of Zhytomyr region, form 280, register 5, case 800, sheet 288 [in Ukrainian].
- Pasko, A. (1970). Scientists from the capital city are speaking. Radyanska Zhytomyrshcina, June 3, [in Ukrainian].
- Kizub, K. (1970). A sincere tribute to a great countryman. Radyanska Zhytomyrshcina, August 2 [in Ukrainian].
- Kirdoda, N.S. (1985). We need a museum of astronautics. Pravda Ukrainy, June 7 [in Russian].
- About creation of the Zhytomyr Museum of Cosmonautics named after S. Korolev. Excerpt from the order No 193 of 04.11.87 of the Department of Culture of the Executive Committee of the Zhytomyr Regional Council of People’s Deputies. The State Archive of Zhytomyr region, form 3448, register 1, case 1381, sheet 109 [in Ukrainian].
- Book of reviews of the Zhytomyr Museum of Cosmonautics named after S. Korolev. 1989–2000 Ukraine, Zhytomyr. Funds of the National Museum of Cosmonautics named after S. Korolev, КП-2033/ІІД-212 [in Ukrainian].
- A long-term plan for joint research of “Pivdenne” Design Office and Research Institutions of the NAS of Ukraine for 2018–2022. Science for the space industry (2017). Information bulletin of the Coordination Council for the organization of joint work of the “Pivdenne” Design Office and research institutions of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 1–2, 66–82 [in Ukrainian].