EVOLUTION OF THE ECONOMIC CONTEXT OF THE PROVISIONS OF SELECTED LAWS OF UKRAINE ON SCIENCE AND SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ACTIVITIES
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2020, 4(110): 63-75
Section: Science and Innovation-driven development of economy and society
Abstract: An important problem of the legislative support of science in Ukraine is the effectiveness of methods for content analysis of regulations. Therefore, the objective of the article is to determine the economic context of selected Laws of Ukraine on science and science and technology activities using the linguistic and statistical approach to the analysis of legislative texts by highlighting key economic terms.
To achieve the objective of the study, an extended algorithm for linguistic and statistical determination of the double thematic core of the legislative text was used, which covers the majorities of economic terms contained in legislative texts. Scientific, linguistic, scientometric and statistical methods were used to solve certain research problems.
To determine the evolution of the economic context of selected Laws of Ukraine on science, the framework law of Ukraine on science was chosen (its three editions: “On the basics of state policy in the field of science and science and technology activities” from 13.12.1991, “On and science and technology activities”, versions of 22.12.1998 and 26.11.2015), and the Law of Ukraine “On innovation” from 04.07.2002 and its current version of 05.12.2012. The evolution of the economic context of the framework law of Ukraine on science is investigated on a sample of 17 economic terms (program, development, project, fund, funds, pension, technology, technology, economic, expertise, innovation, enterprise, products, property, budget, financing); the Law of Ukraine “On Innovation” is investigated on a sample of 13 terms (innovation, project, funds, budget, financial and credit, financial, program, utility, product, examination, products, tax, enterprise). In both cases, some of the terms have not only general economic but also scientific meaning.
It is concluded that the application of linguistic and statistical approaches for scientometric analysis of legislative texts allows distinguishing the main and non-main, or priority and non-priority (secondary), thematic context of their content. Such an approach to the analysis of legislation can be carried out automatically after writing the appropriate software algorithms, which will reduce the impact of the human factor on an analytical review of the legislation. This method will be very appropriate when the law is in the draft phase, between the first and the second reading: a computerized linguistic-statistical approach, allowing one to reveal the changes occurring in the main thematic focus of a law just after amendments, will significantly reduce the time for approval of the law.
Keywords: legislative act, thematic area of text, thematic term, linguistic and statistical approach, framework law of Ukraine on science.
- Popovich, O.S. (2019). S&T and Innovation Policy: Basic Mechanisms for Formulation and Implementation. 2nd ed., corrected and suppl. B.A. Malitsky (Ed.), Kyiv: Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of NAS of Ukraine, 342 [in Ukrainian].
- Tkachuk, A. (2011). Legislative tools. Kyiv: IKTS «Lehalnyi status», 268 [in Ukrainian].
- Boublyk, S.G. (2015). Forming the normative and legal framework of Ukraine’s national security in the science and technological context. Problems of science, 1, 2–11 [in Ukrainian].
- Mekh, О.А., Boublyk, S.G. (2019). Synchronization of the system of normative and legal basis of scientific and technological sphere of Ukraine: problems and perspectives. Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 7, 64–75. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/visn2019.07.064
- Zhilyayev, I.B. (2019). Legal support to the current national innovation policy in Ukraine: problems and development prospects. Legal support for the development of the real economy sector, 4, 191–200 [in Ukrainian].
- Encyclopedia оf Public Administration: 8 vols. Kyiv: NAPA, 2011. Vol. 2: Methodology of Public Administration, pp. 28–29 [in Ukrainian].
- Boublyk, S.G. (2019). The scientometric perspective of the Ukrainian law. Legal support for the development of the real economy sector, 4, 225–228 [in Ukrainian].
- Mosiondz, C.O. (2012). Administrative and legal framework for the policy on science in Ukraine. Abstracts of PhD thesis. Open International University of Human Development “Ukraine”, Kyiv, 37 [in Ukrainian].
- Nekolyak, R. (2018). Regulation of science and science and technology activities: the organizational and legal aspect. Abstracts of PhD thesis. NAS of Ukraine, V.M. Koretsky Institute of State and Law. Kyiv, 20 [in Ukrainian].
- Popescu, I.-І., Best, K.-H., Altmann, G. (2007). On the dynamics of word classes in text. Glottometrics, 14, 58–71.
- Buk, S. (2013). Quantitative parametrization of texts written by Ivan Franko: the project and its realisation. Bulletin of the Lviv University, 58, 290–307 [in Ukrainian].
- Popescu, I.-I. & Altmann, G. (2011). Thematic concentration in texts. Issues in Quantitative Lingustics (Vol. 2). E. Kelih, V. Levickij, Y. Matskulyak (Eds.), (pp. 110–116), Lüdenscheid: RAM-Verlag.
- Cech, R., Popescu, I.-I., & Altmann, G. (2013). Methods of analysis of a thematic concentration of the text. Czech and Slovak Linguistic Review, 1, 4–21. https://doi.org/10.1524/glot.2013.0007
- Cech, R., Garabik, R., Altmann, G. (2015). Testing the thematic concentration of text. Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, 22(3), 215–232. https://doi.org/10.1080/09296174.2015.1037157
- Androshchuk, G.A., Soloviov, V.V. (2003). Analysis of TRIPS agreement using the unified modeling language ULM (the experience of analysis of legal documents). Problems of science, 2, 26–32 [in Russian].
- Androshchuk, G.A., Soloviov, V.V. (2003). Intellectual property rights and their protection in the TRIPS agreement. Problems of science, 4, 24–32 [in Russian].
- Androshchuk, G.A., Soloviov, V.V. (2003). Using ULM language for the analysis of normative base: advantages and prospects. Problems of science, 7, 33–36 [in Russian].
- Dodonov, A.G., Lande, D.V., Kovalenko, T.V. (2016). Models of subject domains in decision-making support systems on the basis of information space monitoring. Open semantic technologies for intelligent systems (OSTIS 2016): proceedings of the sixth international science and technology conference (Minsk, 18–20 February 2016). (pp. 171–176). Minsk: BDUIR [in Russian].
- Elalami, M.I., Amin, A.E., Doweidar, M.G. (2018). Automatic Document Summarization System Based on Natural Language Processing and Artificial Intelligent Techniques. IJCTT, 58(1), 46–57. https://doi.org/10.14445/22312803/IJCTT-V58P108
- Boublyk, S. (2017). Scientometric study of the legislation. Science and Science of Science, 4(98), 65–83. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2017.04.065
- Boublyk, S.G. (2016). Scientific Approach to Analysis of Legal Acts in Science and Technology Field. Science and Science of Science, 2(92), 26–39 [in Ukrainian].
- Ivanov, О.V. (2013). Classic Content-Analysis and Text Analysis: Terminological and Methodological Differences. The Journal of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Sociological studies of contemporary society: methodology, theory, methods, 30(1045), 69–74 [in Ukrainian].
- Buk, S., Kelih, E., Rovenchak, A. (2014). Analysing h-point in lemmatised and non-lemmatised texts. Studies in Quantitative Linguistics 17: Empirical Approaches to Text and Language Analysis; dedicated to Ludäk Hfebicek on the occasion of his 80th birthday. (pp. 81–93). G. Altmann, R. Cech, J. Macutek, L. Uhlirova (Eds.). Lüdenscheid: RAM-Verlag.
- Boublyk, S.G., Bulkin, I.O., Mekh, O.A. (2020). Scientometric Evaluation of Science-Centric Orientation of the National Legislation. Nauka innov., 16(1), 33–47. https://doi.org/10.15407/scin16.01.033