IDENTIFYING ACTUAL PRIORITIES IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FINANCING IN THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF UKRAINE
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 4(114): 24—56
Section: Vital problems of modern science
Abstract: The article is devoted to elaboration of a methodological framework for identifying the actual priorities of S&T activities at the departmental level, in particular in the institutions of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Ukraine. Its necessity is caused by degradation of the official R&D statistics in the latest decade in terms of the complexity of the coverage of tendencies and phenomena, and by the specifics involved in the monitoring of priority areas of S&T on the basis of departmental statistics, which are not harmonized with each other.
The article contains results of a study aiming to find a method for identification of the priorities of science and technology projects being implemented in the National Academy of Sciences using the data set in the registration cards of R&D in the classification format of the Rubricator of Science and Technology Information (STI Rubricator). The author’s research follows the principle “from facts to priorities” (based on the assumption that the priorities are unknown a priori), which is opposite to the traditional approach, “from the announced priorities to the body of facts related with their implementation”, with proposing a new method for determining the priorities, which relies on collecting and full processing of the body of primary registration documents pertaining to implementation of science and technology projects.
The research methods were system analysis, comparison, grouping and several techniques for processing of parametric series and distributions of sets. The databases of the State Scientific Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information” and the State Statistics Service of Ukraine were used.
It was found that the estimates of new funds raised in the NAS of Ukraine in 2017—2019, derived by summing up the data from the body of registration cards of R&D, had a very high correlation with the data on R&D financing of the NAS of Ukraine in 2019 according to the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, with the moderate deviation (4.3 %). An analysis based on the registration cards of R&D is, therefore, capable to fill some gaps in the official system of science & technology reporting.
78 objects at the subclass level of STI Rubricator were identified as actual priority areas of R&D in the NAS of Ukraine in 2017—2019, which was comparable with the dimension of the officially approved list of thematic priority areas. Prior to this, priority areas were additionally localized at the class level of STI Rubricator. The author’s method is expected to be refined by using the body of registration cards of R&D for 2020—2021.
Keywords: priority areas of science and technology, R&D financing, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Classification of Science and Technology Activities, registration card of R&D, Rubricator of Science and Technology Information, newly raised funds.
- Yegorov, I.Yu. (2013). Improving R&D statistics: current trends in developed countries. Statistics of Ukraine, 3, 46—49 [in Ukrainian].
- Popovych, O.S. (2019). Science, technology and innovation policy: the main mechanisms of working out and implementation. 2nd ed. suppl. and revised. Kyiv: Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Osadcha, A.B., & Yevtushenko, V.M. (2018). Indicators of the implementation of priority thematic areas of scientific research. Science, technology, innovation, 1(5), 16—27 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuranda, T.K., Kochetkova, O.P., & Osadcha, A.B. (2019). Scientific monitoring of the priority area of science and technological development ‘Information and Communication Technologies’. Science, technology, innovation, 1(9), 57—69 [in Ukrainian].
- Berezniak, N.V., & Rozhkova, L.V. (2019). European approaches to the definition of smart specialization of the regions of Ukraine. Science, technology, innovation, 2(10), 3—8. http://doi.org/10.35668/2520-6524-2019-2-01 [in Ukrainian].
- Pisarenko, T., Kvasha, T., Paladchenko, O., & Molchanova, I. (2019). Implementation of me dium-term priority areas of innovation at the national level in 2018: a scientific report. URL: http://www.uintei.kiev.ua/sites/default/files/realizaciya_serednostrokovyh_priorytetnyh_napryamiv_2018.pdf (last accessed: 24.07.2021) [in Ukrainian].
- Pisarenko, T.V., Kvasha, T.K., Paladchenko, O.F., & Molchanova, I.V. (2020). Forecast research to determine the priority scientific and technological areas for the implementation of the Social Development Goal № 6 ‘Clean water and proper sanitation’. Science, technology, innovation, 4(16), 26—33. http://doi.org/10.35668/2520-6524-2020-4-03 [in Ukrainian].
- Popovych, O.S., & Chervinska, T.M. (2009). Assessment of actual priorities in the Ukrainian science financing. Economics of Ukraine, 12, 41—49 [in Ukrainian].
- Koretsky, A.I. (2017). Priorities of innovation development of Ukraine’s economy: aspect of scientometrics. Kyiv: DKS Centre [in Ukrainian].