LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE AMERICAN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP
1 O.V. KAPLYNSKY,
1 V.P. SOLOVIYOV
1 G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 1(95): 92-104
Section: Foreign Science. International Science and Technology Cooperation
Abstract: One of the main factors of the American innovation leadership is the proper legal base that began to progress in the second half of 20 century. Historic analysis of the legal framework for the American innovation system covers the period since the beginning of 1980s. Key laws and legal programs, and their aspects that had the largest impact on science, technology and innovation leadership of the U. S. are highlighted. It is found that one of the main reasons of the successful science and technology system in the U. S. was the gradual strategy of R&D ownership transfer from public to private sector. The paper also deals with the Small Business Administration’s role in coordinating the programs that pushed up the innovative progress of the American economy. Recommendations to enhance the innovation-based development in public and private sector of the Ukrainian economy are given.
Keywords: legal framework, legal act, program, American innovation system, universities, laboratories, scientific and technology development, research and development, technology transfer.
- GII Full. Report — Global Innovation Index 2016. Retrieved from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP%20User/My%20Documents/Downloads/gii-full-report-2016-v1.pdf
- The Innovation System and Innovation Policy in the United States. Retrieved from http://www.euussciencetechnology.eu/assets/content/documents/InnovationSystemInnovationPolicyUS.pdf
- Stevenson — Wydler Technology Innovation Act of 1980. Retrieved from http://ipmall.info/sites/default/files/BAYHDOLE/bremmerPDF/Stevenson-Wydler_Technology_Innovation_Act_of_1980,_As_Amended.pdf
- The Bayh — Dole Act of 1980 (P.L. 96-517). Retrieved from http://www.archive.org/stream/bayhdoleactrevie00unit/bayhdoleactrevie00unit_djvu.txt
- Small Business Investment Company / US Small Business Administration. Retrieved from https://www.sba.gov/
- Писаренко Т.В. та ін. Інформаційне забезпечення інноваційного розвитку світовий та вітчизняний досвід. К.: УкрІНТЕІ, 2015. 260 с.
- The Small Business Innovation Development Act (P.L. 97-219) Retrieved from https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/PL97-219.pdf
- Small Business Innovation Research. Retrieved from https://www.sbir.gov/
- Patent and Trademark Clarification Act of 1984 (P.L. 98-620). Retrieved from http://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/98/620.pdf
- National Cooperative Research Act of 1984; Public Law 98-462. Retrieved from http://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/98/462.pdf
- The Federal Technology Transfer Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-502). Retrieved from https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/PL99-502.pdf
- Executive Order 12591 — Facilitating Access to Science and Technology. April 10, 1987. Retrieved from http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=34111
- The Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 (P.L. 100-418). Retrieved from https://www.congress.gov/bill/100th-congress/house-bill/4848
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Authorization. Act for FY 1989, Public Law 100–519. Retrieved from http://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/100/519.pdf
- The National Competitiveness Technology transfer Act of 1989 (P.L. 101-189). Retrieved from https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-103/pdf/STATUTE-103-Pg1352.pdf
- The American Technology Preeminence Act of 1991 (P.L. 102-245). Retrieved from https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/PL102-245.pdf
- The Small Business Research and Development Enhancement Act of 1992 (P.L. 102-564). Retrieved from https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/PL102-564.pdf
- The Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program. Retrieved from https://www.sbir.gov/about/about-sttr#sttr-program
- National Technology Transfer & Advancement Act of 1995 (P.L. 104-113). Retrieved from https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/PL104-113.pdf
- Tech Transfer Commercialization Act of 2000 (P.L. 106-404). Retrieved from http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/technologyTransferCommercializationAct.pdf
- America Competes Act of 2007 (P.L. 110-69). URL: https://www.congress.gov/110/plaws/publ69/PLAW-110publ69.pdf
- The Leahy — Smith America invents Act (Patent Reform Act) of 2011 (P.L.112-29). Retrieved from https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/aia_implementation/20110916-pub-l112-29.pdf
- Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act. Retrieved from https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3606enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr3606enr.pdf
- Service Corps of Retired Executives. Retrieved from https://www.score.org/about-score
- Soloviyov, V.P., Kazmina, Ye.P. (2011). Stimuli and steps in the development of science and technology partnership. Science and Science of Science, 2, 93–108 [in Russian].