NATIONAL ACADEMIES OF SCIENCES IN THE GLOBAL INFORMATION SPACE: A WEBOMETRIC EVALUATION
1 V.P. RYBACHUK,
2 G. QUIST
1G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
2Ghent University, Belgium
Nauka naukozn. 2018, 3(101): 36-49
Abstract: Trends of integration of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Ukraine in the European and global scientific space are analyzed by webometric approach. Neither evaluation of web search engines by relevance of web pages nor a content analysis of the documents revealed in search is undertaken. The analysis is confined to experimental comparisons of web search engines by “scalar” information response on an enquiry by selected key words and phrases. The data available for the all the period of the index of web search engine at the date of search are included.
Webometric parameters were determined for 76 national academies of sciences, most for members of the All European Academies and the International Association of Academies of Sciences. The following arrays of data are covered by the analysis: the rank distribution of distinguished academies of science of Europe and the world by number of references in the web search engine Google (top 20 of 76); the rank distribution of academies of sciences by number of reference in Google Scholar (top 20); the rank distribution of academies of sciences by global rank in Ranking Web of Research Centers (top 20); the rank distribution of academies of sciences by externality ratio; the distribution of the information flow about the NAS of Ukraine by national web segment (by domain). A comparison of the academies’ rank by the results of search in web search engine Google та Google Scholar is made.
It is established that in the index of the world’s largest modern universal web search engine Google, the share of the NAS of Ukraine in the information field is 0.3 % in the English language segment, 16.7 % in the Russian one and 27.5 % in the Ukrainian one. The volume of the NAS of Ukraine cluster exceeds that of many well-known national academies (17th position) and has significantly increased over the last decade. The general vector of information flow about the NAS of Ukraine remains to be external. It is shown that the NAS of Ukraine is most significantly represented in the national web segments of France and Russia and to a large extent in the web segments of China, Poland, Germany, Slovenia, Romania, and the Republic of Belarus. The obtained results testify to the global recognition of scientific achievements and the authority of the NAS of Ukraine.
Keywords: academy of sciences, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, web search engine Google, web segment, webometrics.
- Braychevskiy, S.М., Lande, D.V. (2005). The present-day information flows: important issues. Science and technology information. Series 1: Organization and methods of information work, 11, 21—33 [in Rusian].
- Rybachuk, V.P. (2007). A webometric assessment of the work of the NAS of Ukraine in the context of integration in the European research area. In: National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine: problems of development and integration in the European research area. О.S. Оnyshchenko, B.А. Malitsky (eds.). Kyiv: Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine, 433—465 [in Ukrainian].
- Google. Retrieved from http://www.google.com/
- Grachov, О.А., Khorevin, V.I. (2015). National Academies of Sciences of European countries. A scientific analysis. Science and Science of Science, 2, 99–112 [in Russian].
- ALLEA / All European Academies. Retrieved from http://www.allea.org/.
- International Association of Academies of Sciences. Retrieved from http://www. iaas.nas.gov.ua/ [in Russian].
- Google Scholar. Retrieved from http://scholar.google.com.ua/
- Ranking Web of Research Centers. Retrieved from http://research.webometrics.info/en/search/Rankings/Academy%20of%20Sciences