BIBLIOMETRICS OF NATIONAL SCIENCE: CAPABILITIES AND LIMITATIONS OF APPLICATION OF THE GOOGLE SCHOLAR WEB-SYSTEMS
1 L.I. KOSTENKO
1 T.V. SIMONENKO
2 O.A. GRACHEV
2 V.P. RYBACHUK
1V.I. Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine of the NAS of Ukraine
2 G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 3(97): 87-96
Abstract: The methodological principles and capabilities of the analytical tools of the Google Scholar scientometric platform and the domestic information and analytical system «Bibliometrics of Ukrainian Science» created with its use are analyzed. The experience of practical applications of these systems confirms the methodological validity and productivity of the basic concept of bibliometric portraits of scientists and profiles of research teams and scientific directions implemented in them. The factors affecting the reliability of analytical estimates obtained are considered. It is emphasized that their use in making managerial decisions requires mandatory expert analysis of the results, taking into account the completeness of presentation and, accordingly, the correctness of the data. The analysis of advantages and limitations of these systems applications is especially important when creating and using integrated analytical and information bibliometric systems, for purposes of the International Association of Academies of Sciences in particular.
Keywords: scientometrics, bibliometrics, information-analytical systems, Scirus, Google Scholar, bibliometrics of the Ukrainian science, bibliometric profiles, publication activity, age-phase dynamics of researchers’ scientific activity, citation indexes, scientific performance, expert analysis, interoperable systems.
- Symonenko, Т.V. (2016). Global bibliometrics: a conceptual model. Bulletin of the Book Chamber of Ukraine, 6, 12─14 [in Ukrainian].
- Solovianenko, D. (2012). The policy of indexation of publications in scientometric databases Web of Scіence and ScіVerse Scopus. Library bulletin, 1, 6─21 [in Ukrainian].
- Web of Science. Retrieved from http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/ science/ science_products/a–z/web_of_science/
- Scopus. Retrieved from URL: http:// www.scopus.com
- Google Scholar. Retrieved from http://scholar.google.com.ua/
- Kopanieva, Ye.О. (2012). National indexes scientific citation. Library bulletin, 4, 29─35 [in Ukrainian].
- Büsel, K., Brugner, Ph., Yegorov, I., Rybachuk, (2015). V. Key trends in co-publication activities of Ukrainian and the EU scientists in 2003─2013. Economie si Sociologi. Categoria B, 2, 143─148.
- Tompson, S.R. (2007). Electronic Resources Reviews: Scirus — for Scientific Information. Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship. DOI: 10.5062/F47M05W6. Retrieved from http://www.istl.org/07-winter/electronic3.html
- Scirus has retired. Elsevier, Netherland. 2014. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/scirus/
- Rybachuk, V., Quist, G. (2013). Classification of Individual Age-Phase Dynamics Profiles of Researchers’ Scientific Activity. Science and Science of Science, 3, 55─62.
- Rankings of Scientists. Retrieved from http://webometrics.info/en/node/116.
- Bibliometrics of the Ukrainian science. Retrieved from http://www.nbuviap.gov.ua/bpnu/ [in Ukrainian].
- Malitsky, B.A. et al. (2016). National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine: scientometric and statistical analysis of effectiveness of scientific potential. Ed.-in-chief V.L. Bogdanov. Kyiv, 228 p.
- Rybachuk, V.P., Hrachov, O.O., Kukhtenko, T.O., Videnina, N.H. (2005). The problem of identifying general and specific bibliometric characteristics of the researchers’ work. Science and Science of Science, 4 (Supplement), 105─112 [in Ukrainian].
- Kostenko, L.I., et al. (2016). Convergence of bibliometric projects. Libraries of National Academies of Sciences: problems of operation, tendencies of development, 13, 30─38 [in Russian].
- Оnyshchenko, А.S. (2017). Library cooperation between academies: experiences and problems. Libraries of National Academies of Sciences: problems of operation, tendencies of development, 14, 7─14 [in Russian].
- Kostenko, L.I., Simonenko, Т.V., Rybachuk, V.P. (2017). Bibliometrics in developing communications of the International Association of Academies of Sciences. Libraries of National Academies of Sciences: problems of operation, tendencies of development, 14, 27─34 [in Russian].