METHODS FOR SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC ASSESSMENT OF DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES
National Technical University “Kharkiv Politechnic Institute”, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 1(111): 16-32
Section: Science and Innovation-driven development of economy and society
Abstract: The problem of digital technology assessment is topical because the 21st century is admittedly the era of digital economy. It opens up unlimited opportunities for improvements in production and social processes due to rapid processing of vast scopes of information.
The article’s objective is to refine the methodology for socio-economic assessment of digital technologies. Methods of research: social production efficiency theory, determining innovation efficiency, system analysis, comparison, cost-benefit principle.
An elaborated methodological framework for determining the efficiency of creation and utilization of digital technologies is based on the indicator of profit, being a synthetic one for business entities. It accounts for essential advantages of digitalization, making the effect higher than other methods for creating innovations, namely: the reduced losses along with the increased profit resulting from the accelerated market penetration of new and advanced products, including innovative ones, which can inhibit the processes of moral ageing of products; an opportunity of work in compliance with individual customer needs; the increased speed of sales resulting from increased volumes of sales due to closer links with suppliers and distributors; the extended functions and features of existing products, with creating new products on their basis; the enhanced quality of products due to performing internal R&D or adapting other companies’ experiences; optimization of production processes; the reduced duration of project elaboration; reductions in various categories of spending; the decreased scopes of investment in creating new production facilities. The advantages of digitalization for populations and governments are shown, with highlighting the ambiguous nature of its effects. Also, it is stressed that in spite of the reduced spending for creation and dissemination of innovations, some categories of spending have to be nevertheless increased. They are related with processing and analysis of vast scopes of information, market research, creation of competitive products with new features, the extended utilization of computers, other devices and supplementary devices in case of non-unified signal between business entities transmitting data and those who receive it.
Keywords: digital technologies, digitalization, net monetary income, effect, efficiency, profit, costs, salary.
- World development report 2016. Digital dividends — international Bank for Reconstruction and Development. The World Bank.
- Digitalization in the revolution happening today. The Game for Business learning platform.
- Pishchulina, О. Two dimensions of digital technologies: “digital dictatorship” or preservation of stability. Retrieved from http://razumkov.org.ua/jtatti/dvi-storony-tjvrozvykh-tekhnolodgi-tjyfrova-dyktatura-abo-zberezhennia-stiikosti (last accessed: 13.05.2020) [in Ukrainian].
- Skitsko, V.І. (2018). Synergy of digital technologies in logistics systems. Investment: practice and experience, 16, 18—25 [in Ukrainian].
- Vdovychenko, Yu.V. (2018). Digital technologies as the basis and driving force of the modern global economy development. Ekonomika ta derzhava, 1, 79—82. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/ UJRN/ecde_2018_1_17 (last accessed: 28.07.2020) [in Ukrainian].
- Оklander, М.А., Оklander, Е.О., Yashkina, О.І., et al. (2017). Digital marketing: a model for marketing in the 21th century. M.A. Oklander (Ed.). Odesa: Astroprint, 292 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuzovkov, А.D., Tkachenko, D.N., Sharovova, M.M. (2019). The synergetic character of socio-economic efficiency of digital development and digital technologies. Economics and quality of communication systems, 2, 20—31 [in Russian].
- Kuzovkov, А.D. (2016). The integrated expert assessment method of socio-economic efficiency of application of information and communication technologies. Online scientific journal “Age of quality”, 2, 88—99. Retrieved from http://www.agednal.ru /pdf/2016/216006 pdf (last accessed: 23.06.2020) [in Russian].
- Rada, А., Fedulova, Е., Kosinsky, P. (2019). New method for efficiency evaluation of digital technologies in agricultural sector. Techniques and technologies of food productions, vol. 49, issue 3, 495—504. https://doi.org/10.21603/2074-9414-2019-3-495-504 [in Russian].
- Razumnikov, S.V. The analysis of efficiency assessment methods of information technologies for cloudy services. Retrieved from docplayer.ru/35881893-Analiz-sushechestvuyschchinmetodov-ocenki-effektivnosti-informaasionmyh-technology-dlya-oblachnyt-ii-servisov. html (last accessed: 23.06.2020) [in Russian].
- Internet Users by Country (2016) / Internet live Stats. Retrieved from https://www.internetlivestars.com/internet-users-by-country/ (last accessed: 15.07.2020).
- Digital technologies: (not) a panacea for transformation of a business. https://bpm-in-ua. com/articleid/42.html [in Russian] (last accessed: 13.05.2020).
- Gandhi, P. (2017). The Synergy between Big data and the internet of Things. Retrieved from https://opensours-sefori.com/2017/07/internen-things (last accessed: 13.05.2020).
- Piletic, P. The Advent of New Synergy: the Blockchain & Cloud. Retrieved from https://datablog.com/read/advent-synergy-blokhain-cloud/3181 (last accessed: 13.05.2020).
- Forester A. Total Economic ImpactТМ Study Commissioned By Cisco Project Director Michelle S. Bishop. September 2016.
- Aligning IT with Corporate Strategy implementing. The IT balanced A Scorecard. Sessica Reges. Published in 2005. Aurbach Publications Taylor & Francis Group 6000 Broken Sound Parkway NW Boca Rution. АД 33487 — 2742. 491 p.
- Douglass W. Hubbard (2007). How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of “Intangibles” in Business. Willey & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2007, 305 p.
- Statistical yearbook of Ukraine for 2018. Retrieved from https://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (last accessed: 23.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
- Vasiliyev, V.N. (1986). Organization, management and economics of integrated production in mechanical engineering. Moscow: Mashynostroyeniye, 12 p. [in Russian].
- Krugman, P. (2014). Four Observations on Stagnation. Chapter 4. Secular Stagnation: Facts, Causes and Cutes, CERP Press. P. 61—68.
- Autor, D.H. (2014). Polanyi’s Paradox and the Shape of Employment Growth. NBER Working Papers 20485. National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. https://doi.org/10.3386/w20485
- China’s digital dictatorship worrying experiments with a new form of social control. The Economist, December 17, 2016.