A BIBLIOGRAPHIC STUDY OF THE SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES OF OUTSTANDING UKRAINIAN RESEARCHERS IN SCIENCE POLICY
1G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2018, 1(99): 43-60
Section: Development of Science and Technology Potential
Abstract: Studies of the scientific productivity constitute a central objective of science studies as a discipline about organization and management of science system. In social sciences and humanities the main product of researcher’s work is ideas materializing in various types of publications. Scientific publications are, therefore, a conventional final result of scientific activities, reflecting the productivity and intensity of researcher’s work.
The structure and dynamics of scientific publications, change in scientific themes, the level of cooperation (national and international), coauthors, the citation dynamics of publications by two renown domestic scientists in science policy studies, Gennadiy Dobrov (Founder and first head of the Center for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies — STEPS center) and Boris Malitskiy (Director of STEPS center since 1990 till present), are studied through analyzing the bodies of their publications. Data from Google Scholar are used to find the most cited publications of G. Dobrov and B. Malitsky. The following data are shown in the article: main monographs of G. Dobrov over 1968—1983; the structure of G. Dobrov’s publications; distribution of G. Dobrov’s publications by year; main areas of G. Dobrov’s studies; main coauthors of G. Dobrov; citation of all the publications by G. Dobrov; the most cited publications of G. Dobrov; citation of G. Dobrov’s book “Science about Science” (a book of special significance for the domestic science policy studies); main areas of B. Malitsky’s publications; distribution of B. Malitsky’s publications by year; main publications by B. Malitsky; main areas of studies and coauthors of B. Malitsky’s; dynamics of references to B. Malitsky’s publications; the most cited publications of B. Malitsky in Google Scholar. Bibliographic accounts of the two scientists are given. This bibliographic study shows that the publication activity of the two scientists, apart from showing their scientific performance, can be a good illustration of the activities of G.M. Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, the single scientific institution in Ukraine, focused on science policy theme.
Keywords: science studies, scientific work, publication, coauthors, area of studies, citation of papers.
- Malitsky, B.А., Khramov, Yu.О. (2009). G.M. Dobrov: a scientist and a teacher (the 80th anniversary of the birth). Science and Science of Science, 1, 3—8 [in Ukrainian].
- Kavunenko, L.F., Goncharova, Т.V. (2009). G.M. Dobrov and problems of continuity in science studies. Science and Science of Science, 1, 9—23 [in Russian].
- Rybachuk, V.P., Videnina, N.G. (2009). Scientometrtic measurement of the scientific work of G.M. Dobrov. Science and Science of Science, 1, 24—43 [in Russian].
- Kavunenko, L.F., Velenteychik, Т.N. (2017). The citation rate of the scientist’s work: an indicator of the significance of his research. Collection of scientific works of S.I. Vavilov Institute for Science and Technology History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (pp. 68—80). Moscow [in Russian].
- Kavunenko, L.F., Velenteychik, Т.N. (2016). Anniversary dates of Kiev school on science studies. Science and Science of Science, 3, 104—109 [in Russian].
- Malitsky, B.А., Kavunenko, L.F., Krasovskaya, О.V., Pilipenko, А.P. (2012). Center for science studies in Ukraine. Sociology of science and technology, vol. 3, issue 2, 7—19 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M. (1966). Science about science. Introduction in general science studies. Moscow: Nauka, 271 [in Russian].
- Dobrov, G.M. (1989). Science about science. 3rd ed., suppl. and revised. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 304 [in Russian].
- Malitsky, B.А. (2013). Modern science and new objectives of science studies. Science and Science of Science, 1, 3—21 [in Russian].