THE REFORM OF THE RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES: HOW IT BEGAN IN 2013 (PERSONNEL ACPECT)
Center for History of Organization of Science and Science Studies at S.I. Vavilov Institute for Science and Technology History at the Russian Academy of Sciences
Nauka naukozn. 2017, 4(98): 98-106
Section: Foreign science
Abstract: It was on June 23, 2013 that the draft law on reform of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) was introduced to the State Duma of the Russian Federation for consideration. The article contains results of the author’s review (made from science policy perspective) of the theses extracted from the report of O.Yu. Golodets, the deputy chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation on social issues, supposed to give evidence to ineffectiveness of the RAS personnel: «of 95 thousand research personnel employed by the Russian Academy of Sciences, those engaged in R&D are only 45 thousand»; «today, our youth is dissociated from the Academy of science system: of the employees performing R&D, more than the half of researchers are in pension age or older»; «according to our official statistics, nearly two thousand of young researchers flee from the Russian Federation each year, in order to conduct R&D in foreign institutes»; «the Academy of Sciences has to create the conditions required to develop R&D and implement the potentials of people seeking to prove themselves in the field of research». It is concluded that interim results of the RAS reform have ambiguous and contradictory character, being intensively criticized by the scientific community, whereas the authorities continue to ignore multiple comments and proposals on the reform of Academy R&D.
Keywords: State Duma of the Russian Federation, draft law on reform of the RAS, research personnel, researchers, auxiliary personnel in R&D, young researchers.
- Indicators of R&D: 2013. Statistical book. Moscow: National research university “Higher School of Economics”, 2013, 400 p. [in Russian].
- The Russian State Archive of Economics, form 1562, register 70, case 4721, sheet 9 [in Russian].
- The Russian Academy of Sciences: 2012. Statistical book. Moscow: Institute for the Study of Science of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2013 [in Russian].
- Zhores Alferov gave an award to a Petersburg physicist, 2005. Retrieved from http://www.ibk.ru/8529.html. (date of access: 14.10.2014).
- The President congratulated Russian pedagogues with the Teacher Day, 2010. Retrieved from http://www.youngscience.ru/includes/periodics/news_ ani/2010/1005/00005916/detail.shtml. (date of access: 11.12. 2015).
- Podorvanyuk, N. An award is 20 percent Russian. Gazeta.ru, November 6, 2010 [in Russian].
- Cited by: Penkina, О., Volchkova, N. Moving away from a lamp. Poisk, September 26, 2007 [in Russian].