CONCEPTUALIZING THE IMPACT OF THE INFORMATION AND TECHNOGENOUS FACTOR ON THE SOCIAL AND CULTURAL SPHERE
1 О.А. МЕKH
2 N.O. MEKH
1 Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
2 Rylsky Institute for Art Studies, Folklore and Ethnology of the NAS of Ukraine, Ukrainian Ethnological Center, Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2020, 3(109): 78-91
Section: Problems of science and technology potential
Abstract: This article is an attempt to introduce in the scientific discourse the problem of impact from the integration of science & technology progress, including information and communication technology, on the human life.
The article’s objective is to conceptualize and rediscover the premises and consequences of the impact from information and communication technologies on the humans, with highlighting the ones fostering change in the socio-psychological and socio-cultural factors, to investigate the reverse impact of the human on the information society, and to project further tendencies of the abovementioned feedback. The sources of information are studies of science problems and linguistic and cultural studies focused on the impact of science & technology progress on the society, socio-psychological and socio-cultural factors. General logical scientific methods of analysis and synthesis of the problem are used; formalization of results from domestic and foreign studies and comparison of the existing expert assessments is made in order to reveal essential and inessential factors of the problem, with summing up the results. The analysis shows that the science & technology progress, changing the world surrounding the human, radically corrected human’s capacities to select information, subject it to critical review, and formulate sound decisions. The human and the society as a whole have been provided with the increasing scopes of information in form of ready-made decisions instead of the data intended for analysis. The dependence of a human on information technologies rests on the assumption that their creation is a natural projection of the inner human world, human ideas and motives. This dependence, therefore, constitutes the opposite side of the existing zone of technological comfort and conditions of life and communications. However, the competition calls for the permanent upgrading of technology competencies by humans, with the dependence enhanced, resulting in the personal energy consumption, mental fatigue and motivation problems. One of the conditions for the effective existence of a human in the information environment, i. e. synchronization of the processes of information processing, is broken, bringing about negative psychological, social and cultural effects. The reverse tendency is the explosively growing inclusion of a human, through personal communications devices, in the processes of information creation, which has already affected information quality and scopes, as well as social attitudes and priorities.
The conclusion is made about unprecedented scales reached by interdependence and interrelationships of human and technologies, and by change in the social and cultural sphere. The need for expanding research of this dependence, negative factors associated with its existence and exploitation, with seeking for ways to improve this reality, which can only be found in fostering personal and social morality, human and community ethos, is emphasized.
Keywords: science and technology sphere, information and communication technologies, information and technogenous factor, social and cultural sphere, dependence, integration, impact.
- Cheng, М. (2019). JPMorgan Chase has an AI copywriter that writes better ads than humans can. Retrieved from https://qz.com/work/1682579/jpmorgan-chase-chooses-ai-copywriterpersado-to-write-ads. (last accessed: 19.02.2020)
- Androshchuk, O.V., Kondratenko, Yu.V., Holovchenko, O.V., Vorona, T.O., Petrushen, M.V. (2014). Information technologies and their influence on the development of society. Collection of scientific works of the Center for Military and Strategic Studies, 1, 42—47 [in Ukrainian].
- Pocheptsov, H.H. (1999). Communication theory. Kyiv: Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Eriksen T.H. (2004). Tyranny of the Moment: Fast and Slow Time in the Information Age. Transl. from English. Lviv: Kalvaria [in Ukrainian].
- Claude, H. (2006). The New Economy: Forms of Expression, Causes and Consequences. Transl. from English. Kyiv: Taxon [in Ukrainian].
- Castells, M. (2007). Internet galaxy. Reflections on the Internet, business and society. Transl. from English. Kyiv: Vakler [in Ukrainian].
- Fliur, O.M. (2004). Integration of Ukraine into the World Information Space. Extended abstract of PhD thesis. Kyiv: Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Horova, S.V. (2017). А Person in the Information Society: Challenges of the Present. Kyiv: Vernadskyi National Library of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Khalamendyk, V.B. (2008). Information hygiene as a factor of preservation of human mental health. Humanitarian Bulletin of Zaporizhzhia State Engineering Academy, 35, 83—91 [in Ukrainian].
- Petryk, V.M., Prysiazhniuk, M.M., Kompantseva, L.F. (2011). Suggestive technologies of manipulative influence. Kyiv: VIPOL [in Ukrainian].
- Semykolenov, V.M. (2006). Morality in the Information Society. Extended abstract of PhD thesis. Simferopol: V.I. Vernadsky Taurida National University [in Ukrainian].
- Pocheptsov, H.H. (2012). Mind control. Kyiv: KMA [in Ukrainian].
- Kompantseva, L. (2018). Psycholinguistic description of technological discourse of new media. Psycholinguistics, vol. 23, issue 2, 120—131 [in Ukrainian].
- Pocheptsov, H.H. (2009). Global Projects: Building the Future. Kyiv: Ukrainian Center of Political Management [in Ukrainian].
- Cavazza, F. (2017). Social Media Landscape 2017. Retrieved from: https://fredcavazza. net/2017/04/19/social-media-landscape-2017/. (last accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Toffler, E. (2010). The third wave. Transl. from English. Kyiv: Vsesvit [in Ukrainian].
- Pocheptsov, H.H. (2018). Fakes and other hybrid communications. Retrieved from https:// dt.ua/SOCIUM/feyki-ta-inshi-hybrid-communications-268852_.html. (last accessed: 15.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].