BIBLIOMETRIC INDICATORS OF PUBLICATION ACTIVITIES IN RESEARCH UNITS OF THE INSTITUTE
1National Scientific Center “Institute for Soil Science and Agrochemistry Research named after O.N. Sokolovsky”, Ukrainе
Nauka naukozn. 2021, 4(114): 74—93
Abstract: The article presents the results of the analysis of the publication activities of research units of the National Scientific Center “Institute for Soil Science and Agrochemistry Research named after O.N. Sokolovsky” (NSC ISSAR) on bibliometric characteristics calculated from the database “Bibliometrics ISSAR”, which is an information source for bibliometric studies, providing researchers with up-to-date bibliographic information and an objective assessment of the rating of the NSC ISSAR. The publication activities of NSC ISSAR researchers were studied by data of 2016—2020 and two groups of indicators: (i) publication activity, (ii) publication efficiency. The publication activity and the publication efficiency indicators are taken as quantitative and qualitative indices, respectively.
As shown by the results of the study, a correlation could hardly be found between the average annual number of research unit staff and the total number of publications of all types and the number of research articles (being the most significant type of scientific publications) in scientific journals and periodicals; no correlation was revealed between the share of staff with a scientific degree in the unit and the total number of publications in it, and only a weak correlation was revealed between the share of unit’s staff with a scientific degree and the number of research articles. Significant was the correlation between the number of research articles and all the other publications at the unit level (r = 0.79). The language status of publications was estimated, showing an increase (4.6 times) in the total number of scientific articles (research and review ones) in English in both foreign and Ukrainian publications throughout the studied period. An upward tendency was found in the number of published scientific articles (up to 45 %) in high-rated journals, most of which are Ukrainian, indexed in scientometric databases. A noticeable unevenness of the publication activity of research units by years was revealed, with making the conclusion that the soundness of the institute rating can be enhanced by covering the series of publication activity parameters for a longer period which duration, however, can be determined by an additional study involving a larger set of indicators.
Keywords: publication activities, publication activity, publication efficiency, scientific article, research article, scientific journal, scientific unit, database, type of publication, National Scientific Center “Institute for Soil Science and Agrochemistry Research named after O.N. Sokolovsky”.
- Geisler, E. (2005). The measurement of scientific activity: Research directions in linking philosophy of science and metrics of science and technology output. Scientometrics, 62(1), 269—284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-005-0020-x
- Sbitneva, G.I., & Dvorovenko, O.V. (2020). The bibliometrical analysis of document flow within the topic “Research methods” (based on VINITI RAS Abstract Journal “Informatics”). Scientific and Technical Libraries, 4, 99—114. https://doi.org/10.33186/1027-3689-2020-4-99-114 [in Russian].
- Carpenter, C.R., Cone, D.C., & Sarli, C.C. (2014). Using Publication Metrics to Highlight Academic Productivity and Research Impact. Acad. Emerg. Med., Oct., 21(10), 1160—1172. https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12482.
- Durieux, V., & Gevenois, P.A. (2010). Bibliometric Indicators: Quality Measurements of Scientific Publication. Radiology, 255(2), 342—351. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.09090626.
- Aseiev, H. (2016). Scientometrics, informetrics, bibliometrics: definition and delimitation. Bibliotechnyi visnyk, 2(232), 3—10. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/bv_2016_2_3 (last accessed: 28.05.2021) [in Ukrainian].
- Mazov, N., & Gureev, V. (2016). Bibliometric systems to support research. Scientific and Technical Libraries, 1, 34—40. https://doi.org/10.33186/1027-3689-2016-1 [in Russian].
- Mazov, N.A., & Gureev, V.N. (2016). Bibliographic database of works of employees of the organization: goals, functions, scope in scientometrics. Bulletin of Far East State Scientific Library, 2(71), 84—87. URL: http://vestnikdvgnb.ru/pdf/archive/VEST_71_2016.pdf (last accessed: 28.05.2021) [in Russian].
- Hicks, D., Wouters, P., Waltman, L., de Rijcke, S., & Rafols, I. (2015). Bibliometrics: The Leiden Manifesto for research metrics. Nature, 520, 429—431. http://doi.org/10.1038/520429a
- Laktionova, T.M., & Havrylova, N.A. (2019). The structure of citation in the papers of the scientific journal “Agrochemistry and Soil Science”. Science and Science of Science, 3(105), 58—70. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2019.03.058 [in Ukrainian].
- Gazizova, D. (2017). Discipline-specific bibliometric analysis: Quality and performance indexes. Scientific and Technical Libraries, 12, 19—30. https://doi.org/10.33186/1027-3689- 2017-12-19-30 [in Russian].
- Boublyk, S.H. (2019). The Thematic Core of the Researcher’s Publications: The Scientometric Approach. Science and Science of Science, 4(106), 52—67. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2019.04.052 [in Ukrainian].
- Dubrovina, L., & Lobuzina, K. (2019). Creation of the national system of scientometric information and the Ukrainian national citation index: prospects of resource consolidation. Library Bulletin, 6, 3—9. https://doi.org/10.15407/bv2019.06.003 [in Ukrainian].
- Sikorskaya, O., & Bovkunovich, M. (2018). Bibliometrics and Scientific Library. Libraries of National Academies of Sciences: Problems of Functioning, Development Trends, 16, 40—48. https://doi.org/10.15407/maan2018.16.040
- Narin, F. (1987). Bibliometric techniques in the evaluation of research programs. Science and Public Policy, April, 99—106. https://doi.org/10.1093/spp/14.2.99
- OECD and SCImago Research Group (CSIC). (2016). Compendium of Bibliometric Science Indicators. OECD, Paris. URL: http://oe.cd/scientometrics (last accessed: 28.05.2021).
- Byl, L., Feltracco, A., Shannon, M., Muirheard, B., Seskar-Hencic, D., MacDonald, K., et al. (2016). Measuring Research Outputs through Bibliometrics. Working Paper. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.3302.5680
- Marzolla, M. (2016). Assessing evaluation procedures for individual researchers: the case of the Italian National Scientific Qualification. Journal of Informetrics, 10(2), 408—438. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2016.01.009
- Hendrix, D. (2008). An analysis of bibliometric indicators, National Institutes of Health funding, and faculty size at Association of American Medical Colleges medical schools, 1997—2007. J Med Libr Assoc., 96(4), 324—334. https://doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.96.4.007
- Rybachuk, V.P., & Videnina, N.G. (2009). Scientometric measurement of the scientific activity of G.M. Dobrov. Science and Science of Science, 1, 24—43.
- Methods for evaluating the effectiveness of scientific institutions of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. URL: http://www.nas.gov.ua/text/pdfNews/metodyka_text.pdf (last accessed: 28.05.2021) [in Ukrainian].
- Kostenko, L.I., Simonenko, T.V., Grachev, O.A., & Rybachuk, V.P. (2017). Bibliometrics of National Science: Capabilities and Limitations of Application of the Google Scholar Web-Systems. Science and Science of Science, 3(97), 87—96. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2017.03.087 [in Ukrainian].
- Mryglod, O.I., & Nazarovets, S.A. (2019). Scientometrics and management of scientific activities: once again about the global and the Ukrainian. Visn. Nac. Acad. Nauk Ukr., 9, 81—94. https://doi.org/10.15407/visn2019.09.081 [in Ukrainian].
- Kavunenko, L.F., & Velenteychik, T.N. (2017). Citation of a scientist’s work as an indicator of the significance of his research. Collection of scientific works of Vavilov Institute of Science and Technology History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 68—80. Moscow. URL: http://www.spsl.nsc.ru/FullText/konfe/GK-2017-IIET.pdf [in Russian].
- Kavunenko, L.F., Velenteychik, T.N., & Chernogaeva, O.G. (2018). A Bibliographic Study of the Scientific Activities of Outstanding Ukrainian Researchers in Science Policy. Science and Science of Science, 1(99), 43—60. https://doi.org/10.15407/sofs2018.01.043 [in Russian].