PECULIARITIES OF THE POLICY FOR STRATEGIC R&D INTENSIVE NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1 V.M. GOLOVATYUK
1 Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies of the NAS of Ukraine
Nauka naukozn. 2019, 4(106): 3-23
Section: Science and Innovation-driven development of economy and society
Abstract: Interpretations of the notion “strategy” are analyzed in the context of the resource concept of the theory of strategies. It is proved that a strategy can be considered as a mechanism for the policy of system organization of the R&D intensive development of the national economy, which lays the grounds for socio-economic advancement and improvements of science and technology policy backing this development. The dynamics of R&D and innovation capacities, considered as the basis for the resource and competencies capacities of Ukraine, is studied by region over the period 2005–2017. It is shown that although the research capacities, measured by R&D personnel, and the numbers of university students in Ukraine were downward in 2005–2017, the population with complete higher education employed beyond the R&D sector was constantly growing: the growth was 2.3 times per 10,000 of economically active population, and 1.9 times in absolute figures. Over the period of the study, the employees with higher education, supposed to back the innovation-driven development, grew by 1.6 times per 10,000 economically active population, and by 1.3 times in absolute figures. It follows that the socio-economic environment in Ukraine has improved by this indicator, providing for better opportunities for implementation of the mechanisms for productive growth of the resource and competencies capacities for the innovation-driven development of the national economy. Bearing in mind the socio-economic specifics of each regional economy, the leading role in this process is to be taken by regional scientific centers of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
It should be noted, however, that data from international studies of Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) over 2009–2018 and the “The Readiness for the Future of Production Report 2018” give no evidence of positive effects from the constantly growing innovation capacities in Ukraine for the indicators of technological readiness to implementation of key technologies of Industry 4.0.
It is demonstrated that the dominant policy of strategic R&D intensive development of Ukraine has to focus on intensive building of industrial-agrarian resource-competencies capacities on the basis of Industry 4.0 technologies, to ensure its global productive competitiveness based on R&D and innovation.
Keywords: strategy, resources, competencies, innovation-driven development, R&D and innovation policy, competitiveness, socio-economic environment, industry, readiness to future production.
- Androshchuk H.O., Zhyliaiev I.B., Chyzhevskyi B.H., Shevchenko M.M. (2009). The strategy for the innovation-driven development of Ukraine for 2010–2020 in the context of globalization challenges. Kyiv: Parliamentary publishing house [in Ukrainian].
- Innovative Ukraine 2020: the national report. V.M. Heets et al (eds.); National Academy of Ukraine. Kyiv, 2015 [in Ukrainian].
- The new economic course of Ukraine: the innovation development strategy. Yu.V. Tymoshenko, V.A. Lomakovych (eds.). Kyiv, 2018 [in Ukrainian].
- Soloviov V.P. (2009). The national innovation development strategy in the globalized world: conceptual elements. Science and innovation, vol. 5, No 3, 16–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Holovatiuk V.М. (2017). The innovation-driven development in Ukraine in the European integration context. Science and Science of Science, 3, 3–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Zhalilo Ya.А. (2009). Forming effective economic strategy of the state: theory and practice. Kyiv: National Institute for Strategic Studies [in Ukrainian].
- Kоtler P. (2007). Marketing Essentials. Transl. from English. Moscow: “Wiliams” [in Russian.]
- Hamel Gary. Strategy as Revolution. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/1996/07/strategy-as-revolution
- Katkalo V.S. (2003). The place and role of the resource concept in developing the strategic management theory. Bulletin of Saint-Petersburg University, series 8, issue 3(No 24), 3–17 [in Russian].
- Wernerfelt B.A. (1984). Resource-Based View of the Firm. Strategic Management Journal, vol. 5, No 2, 171–180. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050207
- Prahalad C.K., Hamel G. (1990). The Core Competence of the Corporation. Harvard Business Review, 68, 79–91.
- Pocheptsov H. (2004). Strategy as an art and a special kind of analysis. Political management, 2, 3–27 [in Ukrainian].
- Prahalad С.К., Hamel G. (2003). The Core Competence of the Corporation. Bulletin of Saint-Petersburg University, series 8, issue 3 (no 24), 18–41 [in Russian].
- Porter M.E. (2005). Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors. Transl. from English. Moscow: Alpina Business Books [in Russian].
- Porter M. What Is Strategy? Harvard Business Review. 1996. No 74(6), 61–78. Retrieved from https://iqfystage.blob.core.windows.net/files/CUE8taE5QUKZf8ujfYlS_Reading+1.4.pdf
- Kleiner G.B. (2011). The resource theory of the system organization of the economy. Russian journal of management, vol. 9, No 3, 3–28 [in Russian].
- On approval of the State Strategy for Regional Development for the period till 2020: Directive of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from June 6, 2014 No 385. Retrieved from https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/npas/247566248 [in Ukrainian].
- On approval of the Strategy for the Development of Innovation Activities for the period till 2030: Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from July 10, 2019 No 526-р. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/526-2019-%D1%80 [in Ukrainian].
- The Global Competitiveness Report 2009–2018 [Electronic resource]. URL: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2017-2018/05FullReport/TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport 2017%E2%80%932018.pdf.
- The Readiness for the Future of Production Report 2018 [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www3.weforum.org/docs/FOP_Readiness_Report_2018 .pdf